is a cat with waist but dropped belly overweight?

Old April 11th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default is a cat with waist but dropped belly overweight?

Hello, I know one rule of thumb for overweight cats is: if the belly
drops below the ribs, cat overweight. Another is: if waist is
thicker than ribs, cat overweight. Well, both of my cats, have belly
dropped, but at the same the waists are indented, thinner than chest.
So, what gives? Do you think they are overweight or not? Mark

Old April 11th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 11, 1:42�am, wrote:
Hello, *I know one rule of thumb for overweight cats is: *if the belly
drops below the ribs, cat overweight. *Another is: *if waist is
thicker than ribs, cat overweight. Well, both of my cats, have belly
dropped, but at the same the waists are indented, thinner than chest.
So, what gives? Do you think they are overweight or not? *Mark

I don't know. You should ask the cook at your local Chinese
restaurant. He should be able to tell you the answer to that question
for sure. LOL..!! No... seriously. What does your vet say? I think
once that ol' drop starts to wobble to-and-fro, it's pretty much going
to be there no matter what. Even if the kat is dropping weight. And
especially as he/she gets older. That's my opinion. Although mine is
really no better than yours. Let's see if any of our prima donna know-
it-alls in here can do any better..

IBeen Getiner

Old April 11th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 11, 5:43�am, Meghan Noecker wrote:
On 10 Apr 2007 22:42:22 -0700,
wrote:

Hello, *I know one rule of thumb for overweight cats is: *if the belly
drops below the ribs, cat overweight. *Another is: *if waist is
thicker than ribs, cat overweight. Well, both of my cats, have belly
dropped, but at the same the waists are indented, thinner than chest.
So, what gives? Do you think they are overweight or not? *Mark

I would go more by the top view and also the feel of the ribs. You
should be able to feel some bumps to the ribs. If you can't feel
anything all, then they may be chubby.

A lower belly could be caused by other things such as an injured back,
elderly cat with a weak back, a long back, etc. Ragdolls are actually
allowed a fat pad on the belly in the breed's characteristics. The cat
is not fat otherwise, just has a pad on the belly.

I don't believe he was interested in a history of fat cats. His
questions were well described and well thought-out. At no time does he
give any indication of what the breed might be, yet here we have a
virtual lecture on problems faced by different breeds. Keep to the
facts, please. And answer ONLY those questions posed directly at hand.
This will save everyone in the group some wasted time, and you, some
wasted words.

IBen Getiner

Old April 11th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
J&T

It was better than 99.99% of the posts ive seen from you, and I havent even
been around here long..

ups.com...

Old April 11th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Apr 11, 9:27 am, dgk wrote:
On 10 Apr 2007 22:42:22 -0700,
wrote:

Hello, I know one rule of thumb for overweight cats is: if the belly
drops below the ribs, cat overweight. Another is: if waist is
thicker than ribs, cat overweight. Well, both of my cats, have belly
dropped, but at the same the waists are indented, thinner than chest.
So, what gives? Do you think they are overweight or not? Mark

Many neutered males develop a fat pad that droops. One of my cats has
it. He's in fine shape (well, except for being neutered of course) and
perfect weight but it does droop.

I echo this. One of my males has this, but he's a good weight. Here's
a good page with some photos to help you:

http://vet.osu.edu/1851.htm

Old April 11th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:27:27 GMT, dgk wrote:

Many neutered males develop a fat pad that droops. One of my cats has
it. He's in fine shape (well, except for being neutered of course) and
perfect weight but it does droop.

Another ditto post here. Levi has developed the same pooch since being
neutered, and I consider him to be a little on the underweight side.

Everything about him his cute, including the way his belly wiggles now.

--
Lynne
Old April 11th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 11 Apr, 06:42, wrote:
Hello, I know one rule of thumb for overweight cats is: if the belly
drops below the ribs, cat overweight. Another is: if waist is
thicker than ribs, cat overweight. Well, both of my cats, have belly
dropped, but at the same the waists are indented, thinner than chest.
So, what gives? Do you think they are overweight or not? Mark

not overweight, they are just showing that old 'saggy belly' thing
that cats do when they get older i think, if you really wants to check
if overweight then you can (a) weigh them (crazy idea I know) or (b)
take an overhead view and check how wide they are as this shows how
much real flab they have put on round their middle.

all my cats have developed this funny wobbly wiggly flap of skin
hanging down form their previously svelte middles, which comically
swings from side to side when they run up and down the garden (if only
they knew how silly they look, it is dead cute though). I used to
think it was just something spayed females developed as a result of
having their bits and pieces removed and the subsequent loss of muscle
tone but then my tom cat jasper (god rest his furry soul) had the same
thing. probably just general loss of elasticity around the middle when
they get older.

how old are the cats and how active are they? also what genders? do
you have any pictures to show what you mean exactly?

bookie

Old April 12th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

wrote:

[...]

IBen Getiner- Hide quoted text -

Hey, dip-****... I went back in an deleted that post from Google so
the lady wouldn't see it (since she uses Google as well). Then YOU
come along and inter a stupid comment like that, which brings it all
back up. FYI, I was a little too hasty with Neghan... I somehow missed
the first paragraph of her posting, to be honest with you. In it, she
addresses the first poster's questions just fine. Plus, she iz a well-
respected poster on Usenet. I thought I did her an injustice, and when
IBen errs, IBen corrects. To the best of my humble abilities, anyway.
And then here you come lumbering along... Look... I don't read or
comment on your ****, so do me a favor... Don't read or comment on
mine.

Let me ask you a question... How does a person log in over 200,000
postings on Usenet? How is that done? Are you a spammer? Or are you a
****ing disabled cripple? It's one of the two. That or you're sucking
it in on SS disability... I guess you could be old and lonely and
helpless, though.. Which iz it?

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...hMm8Mpc77QjgXi

Wow... That's all I can ****ing say..

Again, my apologies to Neghan. The poster who I insulted without
proper cause. My bad.

IBen Getiner