Is My Cat Having a Problem?

Old April 11th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacia

Default Is My Cat Having a Problem?

My cat Simon started acting weirdly about an hour ago and I don't know
if I'm worrying too much or what.
Simon was kind of freaking out with some weird meows, but I thought he
saw a squirrel so I didn't think anything about it until he got kind of
jumpy. He started running a few feet like he was being chased, then
stopping to lick his back right leg really furiously. He repeated this
for a bit, all the while acting agitated and meowing. I thought he must
have something stuck to his fur but he didn't.
When I checked his mobility and pet him on the leg he was licking, he
bit me a few times like it bothered him. He's since been walking and
jumping normally, though, just acting restless and licking his front
paws a lot.
Is there anything else I should look for? I guess I'm afraid he's got
something wrong like an itch, or a tummy ache, that's hard for us humans
to realize. What do you think?

Stacia

Old April 11th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Stacia" wrote in message

My cat Simon started acting weirdly about an hour ago and I don't know
if I'm worrying too much or what.

You can't be worrying too much, because you didn't mention the vet.

I would take mine in asap in your place.

Old April 11th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 11 Apr, 15:47, (Stacia) wrote:
[...]

Generally, if there is no obvious reason, then we all take our cats to
the vet because we can't talk cat either.

I have a feeling that is what we all think...
..
The only way that a cat can tell you what is wrong, & you spotted it
straight away. Act on your impulse, simply because we are neither
qualified & able to assist you.

Not because we don't sympathise with you....
Do let us know what your vet had to say please?
S;o)

Old April 12th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacia

Lynne writes:

Could he have been stung by something? Maybe a wasp got into your house?

It's possible but it's been so cold that the bugs haven't been active.
I guess I should have been clearer earlier. Even though he seemed
cranky and agitated he showed no other signs of problem once he stopped
fussing with his leg. This is a cat we've had to watch closely for
years, because he's got chronic vomiting, he eats string and thread,
gets into human food to eat it, and a host of other really bad things.
I'm pretty atuned to what he does when he's in pain, and he'll hiss even
when he's got mild pain, and he never progressed to hissing.
Everything was so vague I didn't think calling a vet was an option
UNTIL something got worse. But I wanted to know what to look for, just
in case.
FWIW, I believe he may have had crankiness from tummy problems and
vomiting. He's been to the vet a lot about this, he's been diagnosed
and was on meds which helped but didn't completely get rid of the
problem.

Thanks,
Stacia