She doesn't like her furniture any more.

Old April 12th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default She doesn't like her furniture any more.

I first bought Meep a cat tree back in 1999. She instantly knew it was
hers only, and from then on, she has practically lived on her tree.
We've moved a number of times, and replaced the tree once that I
remember and she's always loved the thing, sleeps on it, etc. The
current one is very thrashed, carpet falling off, but still she spent at
least a couple hours a day there.

So, we just moved again. The only difference is we only moved *house*,
not *countries* as is normal. Moved a couple of blocks away. A much
easier and less stressful move.

In everything else, she's normal. Jumps on my lap, eats, sleeps, begs
for lap time, plays with her string. Uses the litterbox normally, and
on schedule. But she's just not interested in that tree anymore. With
her beds, she's very position-oriented, so with that theory we've moved
the tree around a bit when she stopped using it in it's original, usual
position at the front window.

We'd already purchased a new one, easier to get up on (the plan is to
get rid of the trashed one, eventually. She *is* getting on a bit -
she's 11 - and has problems with her hind legs (malformed is the best
word; she's been getting glucosamine for years because I expect she will
get arthritis eventually). BUT, when I put food there, or in all her
other normal activities, she shows no sign of being reluctant to jump.
No signs of lameness, or soreness.

But there's still that worrisome truth: After some 8 years, she quite
suddenly has decided not to use her furniture - new or old. Except to
scratch. The new one's seeing a lot of scratching.

Should I worry? Do you think she'll eventually revert to her old ways?
Has anyone else had a cat that did this - and did you figure out why and
how to correct it?

She seems perfectly normal and happy, except for this change.

jmc
Old April 12th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jmc" wrote
Should I worry? Do you think she'll eventually revert to her old ways?
Has anyone else had a cat that did this - and did you figure out why and
how to correct it?

Doesn't she do like my cats, and change favorite sleeping places
and toys regularly?

Moves are traumatic for everyone, I would think they would be even
moreso for an older cat.

Old April 12th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

Are you sure she's not having any pain jumping. Cats are great at hiding
their distress that may be why she's reluctant to use it.

Celeste

Old April 12th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (13-Apr-07 12:43 AM):

"jmc" wrote in message
I first bought Meep a cat tree back in 1999. She instantly knew it was
hers only, and from then on, she has practically lived on her tree. We've
moved a number of times, and replaced the tree once that I remember and
she's always loved the thing, sleeps on it, etc. The current one is very
thrashed, carpet falling off, but still she spent at least a couple hours a
day there.

jmc

Are you sure she's not having any pain jumping. Cats are great at

hiding
their distress that may be why she's reluctant to use it.

Celeste

No, not 100% sure, but she jumps up everywhere else normally, without
any more than her normal hesitation.

However, this morning she's showing signs of "brewing up" an acute
cystitis attack (damn, she's been symptom-free for over a year!). So,
we're off to the vet today, if I can get an appt.

jmc