Melamine found in CORN gluten in S. African pet food

Old April 19th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady

Default Melamine found in CORN gluten in S. African pet food

and it came from.........China
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...101493,00.html
Johannesburg - Tests have confirmed that Vets Choice and Royal Canin dog and
cat dry pet-food products contained corn gluten contaminated with melamine,
says the manufacturer.

The contaminated corn gluten was delivered to Royal Canin by a South African
third-party supplier and appears to have originated from China.

.........so if your bag says corn gluten, please keep an eye on your pets.
If it doesn't say corn gluten, call the company and find out if they changed
the formulation and hadn't changed the bag yet. There's no way of knowing
at this point if corn gluten is implicated here or not. Only one thing is
for sure, this is not over. So it would pay to be diligent. One also
wonders of soy protein is a problem.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 19th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I appreciate you keeping us up to date on all of this. Over a month
ago I opened a new bag of Royal Canin cat food and my cat would take
only one bite and walk away. This happened time after time and I just
threw the whole thing away this week. So, now I wonder if the cat
food is also tainted.?

and it came from.........Chinahttp://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2101493,00...

Old April 19th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:49:30 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

and it came from.........China
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...101493,00.html
Johannesburg - Tests have confirmed that Vets Choice and Royal Canin dog and
cat dry pet-food products contained corn gluten contaminated with melamine,
says the manufacturer.

The contaminated corn gluten was delivered to Royal Canin by a South African
third-party supplier and appears to have originated from China.

........so if your bag says corn gluten, please keep an eye on your pets.
If it doesn't say corn gluten, call the company and find out if they changed
the formulation and hadn't changed the bag yet. There's no way of knowing
at this point if corn gluten is implicated here or not. Only one thing is
for sure, this is not over. So it would pay to be diligent. One also
wonders of soy protein is a problem.

MIne has corn gluten in it. I am currently near the end of a huge bag
I opened in December. And I have another unopened bag purchased at the
same time.

Would he have shown signs already if this food is contaminated?

He has always been a heavier drinker than the others, which I figured
was good since he refused to eat canned food for the first year or so.
Should I get bloodwork done to check on him?

Old April 19th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:51:21 GMT, Meghan Noecker
wrote:

MIne has corn gluten in it. I am currently near the end of a huge bag
I opened in December. And I have another unopened bag purchased at the
same time.

Would he have shown signs already if this food is contaminated?

Not necessarily. He could get sick later.

He has always been a heavier drinker than the others, which I figured
was good since he refused to eat canned food for the first year or so.
Should I get bloodwork done to check on him?

I would definitely do so. The vet can test kidney function and may also
be able to test for the presence of malamine in his system.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 20th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

wrote:

MIne has corn gluten in it. I am currently near the end of a huge bag
I opened in December. And I have another unopened bag purchased at the
same time.

Would he have shown signs already if this food is contaminated?

Not necessarily. He could get sick later.

He has always been a heavier drinker than the others, which I figured
was good since he refused to eat canned food for the first year or so.
Should I get bloodwork done to check on him?

I would definitely do so. The vet can test kidney function and may also
be able to test for the presence of malamine in his system.

We are planning to go next Tuesday. That is my next day off from work.
It doesn't appear to be an emergency, but I can go sooner if anything
changes. I need to get a senior panel for my dog as well.

I have taken away the kibble for now, just in case. He still has his
canned food, and I do have some free samples of various premium foods
that I got at the cat show last week.

At least one of them has no grain of any kind.

Old April 20th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote
?

Not necessarily. He could get sick later.

I have to wonder if this will spread to other products with
corn gluten. Gracie's Purina Salmon has corn gluten in it.

Old April 20th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Thu 19 Apr 2007 07:58:57p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

I have to wonder if this will spread to other products with
corn gluten. Gracie's Purina Salmon has corn gluten in it.

It's in Rhett's Science Diet sensitive stomach formula, too. The
current bag is almost empty and I have a new bag unopened. Hill's has
nothing on their site yet about corn gluten, and just about every
food they make has corn gluten in it. This has finally hit close to
home here.

--
Cheryl

Old April 20th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:12:16 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

It's in Rhett's Science Diet sensitive stomach formula, too. The
current bag is almost empty and I have a new bag unopened. Hill's has
nothing on their site yet about corn gluten, and just about every
food they make has corn gluten in it. This has finally hit close to
home here.

Given that BB didn't know their manufacturer procured rice gluten from
China until they tested the food, I wouldn't feed ANY gluten until the
specific manufacturer of your product states that their food has been
tested and is safe. Just stating that they don't get any ingredients from
China is obviously not enough, since they apparently can't be sure.

Old April 20th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

m...
wrote:

It's in Rhett's Science Diet sensitive stomach formula, too. The
current bag is almost empty and I have a new bag unopened. Hill's has
nothing on their site yet about corn gluten, and just about every
food they make has corn gluten in it. This has finally hit close to
home here.

Given that BB didn't know their manufacturer procured rice gluten from
China until they tested the food, I wouldn't feed ANY gluten until the
specific manufacturer of your product states that their food has been
tested and is safe. Just stating that they don't get any ingredients from
China is obviously not enough, since they apparently can't be sure.

--
Lynne

I wonder if there is a dry food with no grain at all? Probably not. But
maybe with no gluten.

Old April 20th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Thu 19 Apr 2007 07:58:57p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

I have to wonder if this will spread to other products with
corn gluten. Gracie's Purina Salmon has corn gluten in it.

It's in Rhett's Science Diet sensitive stomach formula, too. The
current bag is almost empty and I have a new bag unopened. Hill's has
nothing on their site yet about corn gluten, and just about every
food they make has corn gluten in it. This has finally hit close to
home here.

--------
The first two ingredients in the Purina OM are corn gluten and wheat gluten.
The Purina veterinary diets are not currently on the recall list (except for
the M/D). Even though I have been in the process of trying to switch my cats
to canned food only, all of my cats have been eating Purina OM for the past
year. Alex has early CRF. His BUN and creatinine have been elevated since
December. I'm worried about Bullwinkle too; even though his values are not
technically abnormal, they are high normal. I don't know about my other
three cats since they are relatively young, and there has never been a need
to have blood work drawn on them (but they are not showing clinical signs of
kidney disease). In the past week, Alex has been urinating profusely. I have
an appointment with the vet tech on Monday to start the subcu fluids. Maybe
I should change the vet tech appointment to an appointment with the doctor
herself and have another blood test. I want to cry.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.