My solution to contaminated foods

Old April 20th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ken Knecht

Default My solution to contaminated foods

I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
old problem now?

Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. sigh
What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
vegetarian again.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Old April 20th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:33:50 +0000, Ken Knecht wrote:

[...]

Or quit eating altogether. Remember the spinach scare -- the peanut
butter scare -- the cranberry scare? There are probably others. We
could live on air but that is polluted too. I THINK i'LL HAVE A BURGER
FOR LUNCH.. Best wishes. MLB

Old April 20th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Apr 20, 10:33 am, Ken Knecht wrote:
[...]

I don't really like that we're buying food products from countries
like China. Their values are different from ours and I think we're
made more vulnerable to problems when we trade with them.

FirstHit

Old April 20th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

You know that feeding a cat canned fish can be just as dangerous due to the
mercury levels and the lack of taurine that human food possesses for
extended periods. Go to ASPCA.org and check out their FAQ about home
cooking

Old April 20th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

I was going to tell him the same thing. Too much of any fish is not good
for the cat. It causes liver disease it cats and their hair will also fall
out.

I now make a habit of only giving my cats fish once a week after having a
cat who had problems with fish. Not knowing better at the time I was just
feeding him cat food that was fish based and he got sick from it.

Celeste

Old April 20th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Apr 20, 1:59 pm, "Spot" wrote:
I was going to tell him the same thing. Too much of any fish is not good
for the cat. It causes liver disease it cats and their hair will also fall
out.

I now make a habit of only giving my cats fish once a week after having a
cat who had problems with fish. Not knowing better at the time I was just
feeding him cat food that was fish based and he got sick from it.

Celeste

Heard canned Tuna for humans had no value for cats!

Bought some Country Pet frozen Pet food from New Zealand! Will see
what they think of that!

Old April 21st 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
imloafin

On Apr 20, 1:33 pm, Ken Knecht wrote:
[...]

Posted, quote (excerpt):

"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
could be contaminated and in US pet food."

Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
pets may be in danger!

Old April 21st 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On 20 Apr 2007 20:00:41 -0700, imloafin
wrote:

"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
could be contaminated and in US pet food."

Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
pets may be in danger!

Pet food in South Africa has contaminated corn gluten. IT hasn't been
reported here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up. I am
taking my cat to be tested on Tuesday just in case. I can'tstand this
waiting and waiting. Why can't they just test ALL cat foods, all
brands and varieties and be done with it?

Old April 21st 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Roby

wrote:

"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
could be contaminated and in US pet food."

Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
pets may be in danger!

Pet food in South Africa has contaminated corn gluten. IT hasn't been
reported here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up. I am
taking my cat to be tested on Tuesday just in case. I can'tstand this
waiting and waiting. Why can't they just test ALL cat foods, all
brands and varieties and be done with it?

Published April 20, 2007 on AVMA website:

The American Hog Farm, a 1500-animal facility in Ceres, has been quarantined
by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, and lab testing has
revealed the presence of the chemical melamine in pig urine. Additional
testing of tissues, serum and urine from animals at the farm is underway at
the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory at UC Davis to
determine if melamine is present in meat.

It is believed the melamine originated with rice protein concentrate shipped
from China. Through an importer, the concentrate was distributed to Diamond
Pet Foods, a pet food manufacturer in Lathrop, which sold salvage pet food
to the farm for pig feed.

For more information, see the California Department of Food and Agriculture
press release at
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/exec/pa/press...num=CDFA07-038.

.... so now we know where the recalled pet food goes!
Old April 21st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I talked with a Royal Canin representative today and asked whether they had
tested ALL their vegetable proteins to make sure there were no other
problems (since I am feeding my cats one of their foods that contains pea
protein). I certainly do not want to be going through this mess again two
weeks from now with something else. She assured me repeatedly that they had
tested everything and did not find any other problems. I sure hope so..