The Biggest Predators are Human

Old April 24th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

Default The Biggest Predators are Human

On Apr 23, 7:02 pm, sheelagh wrote:
On 23 Apr, 02:41, chatnoir wrote:

On Apr 22, 6:01 pm, sheelagh wrote:

On 23 Apr, 00:12, "cindys" wrote:

"Lynne" wrote in message

om... on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:37:15 GMT, sheelagh
wrote:

She is *Gutted*..

Oh my god. I am horrified. I don't know what else to say. Sheelagh, I'm
so sorry.

I need to throw up.

-----------
I just also posted that I needed to throw up and that there was nothing more
to say. Actually, there is something more thing to say: For anyone who was
previously defending the law that allows juveniles to get off with a warning
and emerge with a clean record.....The fact that these animals who killed
Jack and the other cats also shot at *people,* including an18-month-old
toddler says it all. I hope these *youths* are prosecuted to the full extent
of the law, and they are put away for a long, long time, but the unfortunate
fact is that I am convinced that people such as these will remain a danger
to society for the rest of their lives, no matter how they are punished.
Psychopaths always start out hurting and killing animals. There is something
totally terrifying about someone who is so devoid of emotion, sympathy,
morals etc that he can cold-bloodedly kill a dozen cats and shoot an air
rifle at a toddler, who also could have been killed. And the fact that it
wasn't just one *youth* but several *youths* acting together is also
terrifying. In the USA, if they had killed a person, the charge would have
been first-degree murder, and in the USA, a juvenile who commits murder is
prosecuted as an adult.

Someone told me this past week that Charlie Manson, a 1960s psychopath who
managed to brainwash a bunch of people into murdering 11 other people and
gutting them and writing things on the walls of their homes with their own
blood (and in one case cutting an unborn child out of pregnant woman's
belly), who has been in prison for years, gets 25,000 pieces of fan mail
every year...I think that's terrifying.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.
Someone told me this past week that Charlie Manson, a 1960s psychopath who
managed to brainwash a bunch of people into murdering 11 other people and
gutting them and writing things on the walls of their homes with their own
blood (and in one case cutting an unborn child out of pregnant woman's
belly), who has been in prison for years, gets 25,000 pieces of fan mail
every year...I think that's terrifying.

OMG, Really..?

That is dreadful. It is beyond my comprehension as to why we as tax
payers should have to pay to keep cretins like this alive. The
disgusting thought of killing an unborn child is worse than any other
crime that I can think of. Horrific in fact...Bring back Hanging, or
if we are too yellow bellied for that in the UK, the lethal injection
will do just fine....

When Ringo was shot, I felt anger that I didn't know was within
me..But that is nothing compared to what I feel today. as Bookie said,
I was hoping against hope that he was in some one's garden shed, or
even stolen.. But to be there when the police arrived to impart the
news that they thought they had found Jack & that they needed someone
to identify him then to take in the fact that they were aiming a
weapon @ an 18 month old child, pushed me past anger & sent me into a
rage I have ***never***experienced before....

Shooting @ a child HAS to be taken seriously. It **IS** ATTEMPED
MURDER. I really can't tale it all in right now. It feels like I am
hovering above myself watching it all unfold. I think the ultimate
question has to be **WHY** did they do it???
I would imagine that I feel the same way @ this very moment as you all
must have felt when you all heard about this Cho geyser. They are
beyond feeling is my only thought....

Right now, they really do disgust me. I am in constant touch with
Mummy ( Michelle) & will keep you all up to date with this as it
unfolds. I will push her every inch of the way, & be there for her
when she needs me too. this will not go unpunished, I assure you of
that.. Our poor darling cat Jack. We will stand up and be counted for
this crime..
S.

Wow I guess this is a serious problem!:

http://www.gun-control-network.org/A004.htm

excerpt:

2. CAMPAIGNS - AIRGUNS

There has been a large rise in the number of airguns used in crime
over the past ten years. The figure for 1990 was 5,380 weapons
whereas by 1999/00 it had risen to 10,103.

GCN's submission to the Home Affairs Committee (HAC) highlighted the
extent of the damage that airguns can cause to people, animals and
property by preparing a list of incidents derived from two sources,
reports from a national newspaper during the last five years and
information given by MPs during debates and committee sessions (see
list below).

Lethality & registration:

GCN was disappointed at the Government's response to the HAC report.
Although all airguns are not going to be licensed, we hope that the
definition of a 'lethal weapon' will be such as to require the
certification of a large number of airguns that are not currently
within the licensing system.

Airgun incidents - examples from the press & MPs:

Daily Telegraph

7 August 1998 Airgun boy cleared of intent over a shot girl. A 16
year old teenager shot a 12 year old girl, Jasmine Proverbs, in the
head while showing off a new £195 rifle fitted with telescopic sights
and silencer. A bit of the pellet is still lodged in her brain. He
had also shot Jasmine's brother in the leg the previous day.

11 November 1998 Air rifle attack on pupils. Four children and a
dinner lady were hit by pellets fired from an air rifle at a
playground of a Primary School. A 16 year old was arrested.

16 January 1999 Teenager shot in 'war game'. Richard Bryant, 13, was
critically injured when a pellet fired from an airgun lodged in is
skull. Four boys aged 11 to 14 were involved. A 14 year old was
arrested.

13 July 1999 George Atkinson, 13, was fatally wounded after being hit
by an airgun pellet in the garden of his aunt's house.

Derby Evening Telegraph

28 August 2001 Cygnets shot in the head. Two young swans have been
left with serious head injuries after being shot.... An RSPCA Inspector
said 'Two people appear to have gone and deliberately used these swans
as target practice with no regard to the suffering they must have gone
through.'

Ripley & Heanor News

20 September 2001 Teenager is shot in airgun incident. 15 year old
Darren Harrison underwent emergency surgery on his stomach after being
shot while walking along a public footpath. Surgeons were unable to
remove the airgun pellet which wounded him. The police found evidence
of target practice taking place on the path which runs between a wood
and open fields.

The Middlesbrough Gazette

May 2001 Child killed. A Teeside child was killed on 3rd May 2001 by
another child using its father's air rifle, prosecution pending.

Examples given by MPs

Mr Doug Henderson (Newcastle upon Tyne N). Standing Committee E. 21st
November 1996. A 65 year old Aberdeenshire man died instantly after a
pellet fired by a 17 year old taking pot-shots with his new airgun hit
him after he stepped into the line of fire.

Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle) Standing Committee E. 21st November 1996.
Residents on Leigh's biggest housing estate have had enough of teenage
troublemakers who use waste bins for airgun practice even though young
children are playing there.

Dr Nick Palmer MP (Broxtowe) 21st January 1998. Reported that the Cat
Protection League has estimated that every year 10,000 cats are killed
or maimed.

Jeff Ennis (Barnsley, East and Mexborough). Air Guns (Safety) 23rd
June 1999. Adam Yoxall, aged 10, was hit in the eye by an airgun
pellet while playing in a local wood. He lost the sight in is left
eye

A 12 year old boy was left in agony after being shot in the back by a
sniper

http://www.publications.parliament.u...aff/95/...Hide quoted text -

Yes CN, It has certainly struck me very close to home I assure you;o(
Also, thank you very much indeed for taking the time to research &
also for providing link that you did, for us. It got me thinking & I
set to work to see if there was an updated version of that link & I
found it. I will add a link into this post shortly. I also looked it
up in brader terms & I found a few other links too. I am going to post
them because they are very relevant to the group, but more so those
that live in the UK.
However, I am going to see if I can find anything that would be of
help to you all over the other side of the pond. Having said that, I
don't believe that you have such a big as we do with this problem as
we do, for 2 reasons.

1) Most of you seem to keep you cats as indoor only pets, so that
knocks 50% of the problem right on the head...

2) Your kids or adults don't need to use imitation style guns or even
air rifles, because you have access to the real thing. If someone has
a trigger happy mind, they can do the job properly & ensure that they
do shoot to kill. Here, they have to settle for second best. No one
with the sort of mentality I have just spoken about, would get a gun
licence here. The police would reject the request immediately. I don't
believe for one moment that he hasn't already met the wrong side of
the law @ 35 years old.. do you?

I am inclined to agree with both Cindy & Bookie's theory on the
subject..
It does start @ an early age & simply gets progressively worse, until
they are either stopped, or taken aside and put in jail, or a mental
institution.....

I am desperate to make sure that this one doesn't fall to the way side
@ all. I encouraged her to ring our local paper, email her Memeber of
Parliament( after all that is what he is there for...to take our
causes to parliament & present them!!)
Please don't anyone of you take this as an insult because I certainly
don't mean it to come across as one!!

Michelle has also called the Rspca, The Cat Protection League, her vet
& Wood Green Animal Shelter to alert them that there is a serious
threat to cats in her area & also to inform them that if they get any
shot cats in, that she believes she knows why and where the threat
lies too.

Here is an updated version of the brilliant link you so kindly
provided for us:

http://www.gun-control-network.org/INS0606.htm

This is another one showing the terrible injuries that occur when
idiotic psychotic maniacs get new * **TOYS***http://www.parkvets.com/petsandvets-airgun.html

And this one is about parliament & the updating of the gun laws too
(if I remember rightly - I did this earlier, saved it, then had to
hand over the PC to the kids for homework time).

Thank you for presenting the facts and the idea too
sheelagh

They actually are doing this months incidents also!:

http://www.gun-control-network.org/IN0407.htm