Nutro Gourmet Chicken Dry Food..

Old April 25th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bluedove

Default Nutro Gourmet Chicken Dry Food..

Hello,

I haven't posted here for several years since my Blue boy passed
away in late 2004. But now I am brought back to ponder (and I know that I
can't be the only* one out there wondering) if I can trust the Nutro brand
for any of their cat foods? Or, if I can trust any* of the cat food brands
out there?

I'd bought the Nutro Gourmet wet cat food in
the pouches only a few times, and fortunately, my 2 cats
hated it, and wouldn't touch, even as seemingly healthy and 'natural' the
ingredients appeared to be. I have been feeding them, primarily, (roasted)
Fancy Feast, as they like the gooey, gravy types. But, for 3 years I have
been
buying (in large amts) Nutro Gourmet Chicken dry* cat food (in the orange
bag). I was lead to believe that it
was a mid to high grade quality, and my two guys, Dove + Gabe really love
it. I have never met any cat didn't love it.

Yet, now with the pet food recall, I noticed that the 4th or 5th
ingredient listed in the Nutro Gourmet brand is 'Wheat gluten'. Now I'm
totally afraid to
buy it, ever again. I feel duped by the company, but mainly, IMO,
the company' reputation has been damaged. I just don't trust them
any more. IMO, the company charged a high cost, materially and literally,
for so-called 'high quality' ingredients. Yet, many 'cheaper' brands like
Authority and Special Kitty used the same exact source for the wheat gluten.

Now I am left wondering why* would the Nutro company use a separate* source
for their wheat gluten to put in their Dry food?! I haven't heard or seen
a peep of a comment from the company or media about this obvious question.

Do anyone have any holistic, good quality brands they are now using and
would recommend buying?

Comments, thoughts?

ML

Old April 25th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oldhickory

I've been feeding Nutro kibble to my 3 since 2004. I've also been feeding
them Nutro gourmet (canned, on the recall list). Obviously, I quit feeding
the canned since the recall, though the canned varieties I feed them were
not in the initial recall--they were not recalled until the second wave.

On the other hand, I had a siamese
http://www.davidandmollie.com/kittie...e/twinknew.htm that passed away
in summer 2003, from kidney failure, and we thought it was very strange but
since my father was in the hospital on a ventilator at the time we didn't
have the bandwidth to look into it. She was only 11.

We feed her a variety of kibbles and cans all of her life---from Meow Mix to
Iams. We never served Nutro products until after she passed away, when a
rescue person suggested we use their canned kitten food to get a new adoptee
to take her meds. She said she'd never had a kitten turn down their canned
chicken and liver kitten food.

I don't know that Nutro is worth singling out. I think it's the lax
enforcement of import regs, and the way we've taught emerging countries to
lie cheat and steal to get ahead that's to blame.

Why, with all the crops we have here, are we importing FOOD products from
countries with no safety controls???

Lastly, using one source for our foods --whatever the source--is risky. If
there's a problem it's a problem for all. Diversity is a good thing, just
careful and well-planned. Just like planting all of one kind of crop or tree
is dangerous. If we wipe it out--we have nothing to fall back on...but
don't get me started....

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old April 25th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"bluedove" wrote in message

I am currently using canned Wellness (finally!) which is human grade food
and contains no grains! I had previously used Pet Promise, which is also
human grade. The main reason I switched to Wellness was that the Pet Promise
contained too many carbohydrates for my formerly diabetic cat, but the
carbohydrates are in the form of brown rice and potatoes, no glutens of any
sort. For dry food, I have been using Purina OM (overweight management)
which does contain wheat gluten and corn gluten. I was at the veterinary
office yesterday. The tech told me that the Purina company had reassured
them that the OM does not contain any contaminated gluten. The tech further
stated that many of their clients feed their animals Purina OM and there has
not been one single client who has experienced any problem. FWIW. The vast
majority of the Science Diet dry foods do not contain any wheat, wheat
gluten, or other wheat products, but they do contain corn gluten.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 25th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Luna's Mom[_2_]

bluedove wrote:
[...]

I feed Luna the Nutro dry hairball management chicken flavor. It has NO
wheat gluten but it does have corn gluten, so I started to freak out a
bit with word of more contaminations. I think it is worth noting that
NONE of their dry foods have been recalled, though I have been feeling
like you do and wondering if they are to be trusted. FWIW, here is what
I got from them by email just yesterday:

April 23, 2007

Dear Nutro Customers,

We know many of you have questions about the FDA's latest reports that
melamine was found in rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice
gluten). We want to address those concerns as well as provide you with
information on our use of corn gluten, which we include in some of our
pet foods as an ingredient in the form of corn gluten meal.

Our customers have also brought to our attention confusion that has been
caused by the media in reporting the new recall of some Natural Balance
pet foods. Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated
with Nutro Products nor Nutro's Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra™ brands.

I hope the following information is helpful in clearing up any confusion
you may have.

Regarding Rice Protein Concentrate:

(1) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because
it provides an important source of protein for pets, especially for
those with digestive sensitivities and allergies.

(2) Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that the rice protein
concentrate (also known as rice gluten) used in Nutro's pet foods does
not contain melamine.

(3) It has been reported that the Natural Balance recall is focused on
products containing rice protein concentrate provided by Wilbur-Ellis
Company. Nutro has NEVER purchased or used rice protein concentrate
from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

Regarding Corn Gluten:

(1) Nutro uses corn gluten meal in some of its pet foods because it is a
source of sulfur amino acids, which are important for skin and coat
health. Corn gluten meal also helps as a natural urine acidifier that
is important for both cats and dogs.

(2) All of the corn gluten meal that Nutro uses in its products is
produced in the United States.

Nutro customers may check Nutro's website
(http://www.nutroproducts.com/) or contact our Consumer Hotline -- (800)
833-5330 -- for further information about our products. We will
continue to post updated information on our website and our customer
service representatives are working diligently to respond to each and
every call and email personally.

We understand that the pet food recall has caused continued confusion
and frustration and we are doing everything we can to provide you with
the information you need about our products. We will continue to keep
you updated.

Sincerely,

Dave Kravis
President & CEO
Nutro Products

I'm not sure what to make of this and Luna will simply not tolerate a
wet diet, so I am at a loss as to what is the right course of action in
terms of feeding her. I've still been feeding her the nutro dry,
nervously, which is a ****ty way to feel, but again, not sure what to do
or where to turn for now.

Pam

Old April 25th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:30:58 -0500, Luna's Mom wrote:

I'm not sure what to make of this and Luna will simply not tolerate a
wet diet, so I am at a loss as to what is the right course of action in
terms of feeding her. I've still been feeding her the nutro dry,
nervously, which is a ****ty way to feel, but again, not sure what to do
or where to turn for now.

Royal Canin's website also explained a bit about using glutens. This
is from their website:

Why is rice gluten even used in pet food?

Effective immediately, Royal Canin USA does not source any of its
vegetable proteins—including rice gluten—from China.

Also, Royal Canin USA is reviewing all of its supplier relationships
to ensure that we continue to provide your pets with the highest
quality ingredients available.

Prior to the recent issue with rice gluten from China, rice gluten
(rice protein concentrate) has been a well-trusted and safe ingredient
used by many responsible pet food manufacturers for decades.

Overall, rice gluten provides a highly-digestible and very useful form
of protein. When compared with other grain-based ingredients,
high-quality rice gluten has many positive attributes as a pet food
ingredient because it is highly digestible, high in protein, and a
good energy source that helps pets with their digestion and immune
systems.

In addition to being an excellent protein source and having
exceptional digestibility, high-quality rice gluten helps pets control
gas (flatulence), reduce litter box odors, and improve their stool
quality when compared with other grain-based ingredients.

So rice gluten is a good pet food ingredient, but why use rice gluten
from China?

China is the world’s largest rice producer, and therefore, the largest
exporter of rice gluten. Prior to this issue, rice gluten from China
was considered very high quality because of its nutritional value.

Due to that earlier quality rating, Chinese rice gluten was actually
one of the more expensive pet food ingredients, costing more than most
meat proteins.

They also stated that their corn gluten is from USA sources, none from
overseas. I was getting really worried about that. I was planning to
get bloodwork done to make sure he is okay. But I think the company
has made sure their corn gluten is not contaminated. I would like to
see it worded just a little bit clearer, but I decided to wait on
bloodwork.

Old April 26th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
NedF

In regards to imported wheat gluten, I was reading this guy's blog -
http://evansmediausa.blog.com/1709130/
and I found this bit really disturbing:

"****According to an AP news release on April 20, the Chinese
authorities had told the FDA that the wheat gluten was an industrial
product not meant for pet food.****

This is the pivotal point. Was there any deliberate contamination by
the Chinese, and if so, why? Melamine is more costly than gluten.

The FDA's Dr. Sundlof stated at the onset of this debacle that
melamine is used in the manufacture of plastics and may have been
deliberately added as a cheap fake protein supplement to inflate the
protein content. But gluten, be it of corn, wheat or rice origin, is
used in the manufacture of new generation biodegradable plastic
utensils, grocery bags etc.

This leaves me with the terrible thought that the multinational pet
food industry, following the economistic mandate of lowest-cost feed
formulation based on simplistic nitrogen/protein and other ingredient
assays in their 'scientific' formulation of 'balanced' diets for pets,
thought they could get a good deal by incorporating industrial grade
product gluten in pet foods. But what they actually purchased on the
world market was never intended for human or animal consumption, but
for the manufacture of biodegradable food containers, utensils and
plastic shopping bags. This is essentially what went into pet foods,
causing untold numbers to suffer, and many to die. May be industrial
grade soy with melamine, imported from China, is also in some
manufactured pet foods, and these will be on recall next.

The high morbidity and mortality rate in dogs and cats associated with
this largest pet food recall ever could well have been aggravated by
other chemical contaminants in pet foods that can harm the kidneys,
liver, digestive, endocrine, immune and other systems of our animal
companions. And the industrial crops of corn, wheat and rice, and
possibly soy, grown in China for biodegradable plastic manufacture,
could well have been genetically engineered, raising additional health
and environmental concerns. But the details of this may never be fully
unraveled."

I think I'll just start growing my own food!

Old April 27th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

The Chinese have admitted that there was melamine in the wheat and rice
glutens but that's not what is killing the dogs and cats. Check out
www.itchmo.com.

Sue

ups.com...

Old April 27th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bluedove

Ned,

All I can say is... Wow! I am with you as far as just simply cooking for my
guys. Or, since I am far too busy to do this everyday, more realistically,
I guess I can buy Gerber baby food jars of a huge variety and feed them
that, but I know that it would not* meet all of their different nutritional
needs. but thanks for sending this interesting article/blog.

I finally called a vet here in Tally that I trust and went by yesterday
after I got off work & bought an 8 LB bag of (chicken and rice) "California
Natural" dry. Anybody have comments on this brand? If so, pleease let me
know what your thoughts and experience is with this brand. My guys really
like it alot when I bought it in the past before all this recall nightmare,
and I was very impressed with all of the ingredients. I drilled the poor
vet techs behind the desk before I bought it and finally was assured it is
'safe', but my thoughts are, honestly, do we really* know what brand is*
safe now, and what isn't safe, since there is a new darn list that seems to
come out everyday now. I digress.

BTW, thanks to all who have responded to my post, I've read them all and
appreciate your comments!

ML

ups.com...

Old April 27th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bluedove

"Luna's Mom" wrote in message
.. .

_____

I'm not sure what to make of this and Luna will simply not tolerate a
wet diet, so I am at a loss as to what is the right course of action in
terms of feeding her. I've still been feeding her the nutro dry,
nervously, which is a ****ty way to feel, but again, not sure what to do
or where to turn for now.

Pam

***Thanks Pam.

I feel the same way. I am now trying holistic brand called, "California
Natural" Chicken and Rice--( I know, I know, now when I see the word 'rice'
mentioned in any form as an ingrediant, I just want to drop the darn bag
and run out the store!). I hope it will be healthy and good for them. Has
anyone else heard of this brand? Anyone vouch for it? It wasn't cheap, the
8 LB bag cost me almost $17.00.

Thanks for passing along the letter. Did you catch how they first pointed
the finger at Natural Balance to try to deflect from the point that yes,
they too have had a big recall. For some reason, to me, the letter seemed
canned and ever so formal. I felt like I was reading a letter from the fox
guarding the chicken coop or something, or maybe, I've become just too
cynical..?

ML