Tortoise Shells and Tumors

Old April 30th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Tortoise Shells and Tumors

Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
I have farm cats and the first 2 came from my shot-up, dewormed cats
(different mothers and fathers, then one came from another litter of
farm cats, then the other 2 came from 2 different shelters and were
also shot-up and dewormed. So 3 had shots and 1 didn't. Also the 3 of
the 4 cats were under 9 months old, but Kleo my living tortios shell,
is almost a year old and she is pregnate I just found a lump on her
today. So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
mean.

Old May 1st 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
[...]

I assume all your torties are female (9999 out of 10000 torties are) and
that you do not get them spayed (you mention pregnancy). Female cats
that have had litters are prone to certain tumors. Maybe it is just the
statistics of that at work.

I am curious to read other responses as I have a tortie who is about 7
years old and is spayed. No tumors. (Knock on wood.)

Old May 1st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

My mom has an 16 year old tortie who has no tumors either but then she was
spayed at 6 months of age to.

Celeste

Old May 1st 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
April Bruce

"q" wrote in message

[...]

years old and is spayed. No tumors. (Knock on wood.)- Hide quoted text -

Ok so I'm takeing it that I just have poor luck with tortiose shells,
Umm no they were not speyed but none of them had any litters, Kleo is
the first to get pregnate. See your thinking that I get pregnacy's all
the time but I don't because we get the males neuterd, This time we
had a stray caming around that got all my females pregnate, he has
been caught and fixed. But I'll most deffenatly get my nexed tortoise
shell speyed. I just love Tortoise shell cats they are so loving and
beautiful. Thank you for your responce.

Old May 1st 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

April Bruce wrote:
I just love Tortoise shell cats they are so loving and
beautiful. Thank you for your responce.

Yes, they are (mine is right here in my lap now.) Not only that but you
can find a picture of one in almost every college Biology or Genetics
textbook; they illustrate a very important biological phenomenon that
actually applies to all female mammals.
Because some cat coat color genes are on their sex chromosomes, you can
see this phenomenon at work in torties.
Old May 1st 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

I work in a vets and it is not common for them to be torties. Are
yours all from same family line?

Old May 1st 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
April Bruce

On May 1, 12:59 am, silvercelt wrote:
I work in a vets and it is not common for them to be torties. Are
yours all from same family line?

No they are not from the same family line 2 came from my farm
different mothers and fathers then 1 from another neiboring farm and
the other 2 from a shelter different litters. They all have been about
1-2 years apart. I would think its just my luck, But I have many other
cats like Tabby's, Standerd Calico, Snow Calico, Orange Tabby's, and
Blue Russians, and one part Persian none of them cats have had tumors
Except my half persian who has a cist on her neck, but its not life
threatening. It's always my Tortiose shells. Just my luck.

Old May 1st 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 1 May, 12:56, April Bruce wrote:
On May 1, 12:59 am, silvercelt wrote:

I work in a vets and it is not common for them to be torties. Are
yours all from same family line?

No they are not from the same family line 2 came from my farm
different mothers and fathers then 1 from another neiboring farm and
the other 2 from a shelter different litters. They all have been about
1-2 years apart. I would think its just my luck, But I have many other
cats like Tabby's, Standerd Calico, Snow Calico, Orange Tabby's, and
Blue Russians, and one part Persian none of them cats have had tumors
Except my half persian who has a cist on her neck, but its not life
threatening. It's always my Tortiose shells. Just my luck.

we had a tortie who died last summer after developing a tumour in her
stomach, previous to that she lived a very full and happy life and
lived to the age of 17years so we jsut thought that the tumour was
just down to old age. she was spayed btw

i have 2 torties with me now, jessie, tortie and white what you prob
call calico, she is 16 or 17, not sure as she is a rescue cat, no
tumours but does have hyperthyroidism. also terri, dark tortie, only 7
or 8 (again not sure as another rescue puss) no tumours but we ahve
not had her long enough to really know

maybe you just have bad luck?

bookie

Old May 1st 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fuga :o\)

It's not just a cat getting pregnant that will cause cancer. It's a cat
that goes through heat cycles. Any female cat that isn't spayed is more
likely to develop cancer and pyometria.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Harriet the Tortoise RIP-- Aged 176 Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 1 June 26th 06 11:17 PM
tortoise shell cats ken Cats - misc 8 April 30th 06 04:47 AM
oral tumors -L. Cat health & behaviour 0 October 24th 05 05:39 AM
mast cell tumors Betsy Cat health & behaviour 3 February 24th 05 12:38 AM
tortoise shell cats ken Cat health & behaviour 8 January 28th 05 08:36 PM