Need all the advice I can get to fix this problem

Old May 3rd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Default Need all the advice I can get to fix this problem

I have a four-year-old neutered cat, Leo. I adopted him two years ago,
because my other cat, Bijou, was very lonely and had always enjoyed the
company of a second cat in the household. I'd chosen Leo because he,
too, loved being around other cats. Like magic, they both hit it off
immediately.

Four months later (August '05), Bijou died. Leo was heartbroken, but
after a couple of months was back to his old self.

For the next 21 months, Leo has been the only cat in the household. I
never adopted another because both my parents and I were dealing with
all sorts of individual medical difficulties.

Well, finally we've turned the corner. And now that things are at long
last back to normal, I decided to adopt a second cat. Woody is a
two-year-old neutered male, very affectionate, and loves other cats. And
he's playful, just like Leo.

But I didn't stop to think that, after almost two years, Leo's
disposition toward the presence of another cat might well have changed.

So I made a very bad decision. Once I got Woody home and showed him
where his food, water and litter were, I brought him over to meet Leo.

Woody was immediately willing to be friends. But Leo was highly upset,
and immediately attacked Woody, who ran upstairs for safety.

I was so naïve, I thought they'd hit it off right away, just like Leo
and Bijou did. But now I have two cats who are now sworn adversaries.

Leo is very distraught. He howls, pants, and swallows nervously every
time he sees Woody. And after being ambushed, Woody wants nothing to do
with Leo. He growls and hisses unceasingly every time Leo is nearby.

Right now I'm scouring all the information I can get from books, Web
sites and such to see if anything can be done to remedy this situation.
If I can't get Leo and Woody to come to at least a peaceful
co-existence, I'll have to take Woody back to the no-kill shelter. It
just wouldn't be fair to either of them to have to live with such stress.

So I ask: If anyone out there has been through a similar situation, or
knows of someone who has, what, if anything, was done to rectify the
problem? Or is this an incorrectible situation, and I should cede Woody
to the shelter for the sakes of both him and Leo?

TIA.
Old May 3rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

You must go back to square one. Segregate the new cat in a room of his own
with food, water, litter, and a bed. Gradually let them smell each other
(through the door) and gradually increase their contact with you present.
AFter each small increment, put the new cat back in the room . Always
supervise them. Periodically put Leo in another room and let the new cat
roam around the house. Usually cats need this gradual introduction. You
lucked out with your last cat. In time, they should be OK.
Gail

Old May 3rd 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

[...]

I have two wonderful cats, Holly and Duffy. Holly was my only cat for 8
years, and I thought I should never even try to adopt another cat as long as
I had Holly because she was extremely aggressive toward any other cat that
was in my vicinity. We even called her "the black tornado." Then I saw a
picture of Duffy, who is blind and had been in a shelter for several months.
I decided to try introducing them, but I had very good advice from a friend
who had been through the adoption process many times. She walked me through
a *very slow and gradual* introduction process. You have already created a
problem by trying to bring a strange cat into your household without
acclimating them, but it is not too late. Please do not return Woody to the
shelter. Instead, start over again from "square one," and this time proceed
with great care and patience. I have written about the details of what I
did on several occasions, so I won't reprint it here. However, please feel
free to e-mail me if you want me to send you a copy by private e-mail. The
address that is attached to this is valid except that you first need to
"take-out-the-litter." Also, the links below my signature are a "pictorial
history" of the introduction process -- one that worked exceptionally well
with a cat that previously would not tolerate any other cat. Holly and
Duffy are now good friends. In particular, look at the door with the
screened base that helped with the introduction. I also would strongly
encourage you to get a few of the plug-in Feliway diffusers. They are a big
help in calming nervous or agitated kitties.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old May 3rd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Noon Cat Nick wrote:
[...]

Some cats never get along, some will get along given time and others
will hit it off immediately.

Someone else has already posted about the basics of a gradual
introduction. I hope you have a lot of time and patience on your hands.

I'd also suggest at some point, not immediately, but later on that you
sit on the floor with them and start playing... they may get engaged in
the play and drop their guards somewhat... then realize later on that
they have been in each other's company having a good time.

Old May 3rd 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

You already got a lot of good advice. I'll add one thing -- make sure to
give Leo lots and lots of extra attention. He needs assurance from you
that the new guy is not taking you away from him.

When you separate the new cat, don't put him in a room that Leo feels is
his. For instance, if Leo sleeps with you every night, don't lock Woody
in the bedroom and keep Leo out.

Good luck! Most cats get along once they get through this period. Just
hang in there and go slow.

Rhonda

Old May 3rd 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 3 May, 01:23, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. It is so easily done, but all the harder to repair.
Time is the very thing you need here.

Give both of them the space you can, love them equally, & then make
sure that Leo is lovey doveyed more often than normal. If you re
introduce them very slowly this time, then I see no reason why this
can't work for all of you.
We all make mistakes!
Best of luck with this one.
K.