K/D food and PetSmart

Old May 27th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

Default K/D food and PetSmart

I have a prescription from my vet for Renal Diet food for Rusty. He gets
funny about food off and on and stops eating what he used to like and wants
something different. So, I got the prescription so that I could go to
other vet's offices and get renal diet food when I want to just buy a can
or two to try it out and see if Rusty will eat it. Well, today I went to
PetSmart (they carry prescription food because they have Banfield Vet
there). I had my prescription and selected a few cans of Hills K/D with
chicken (which he seems to like now after turning his nose up over Purina
NF which he used to like). Dang! You'd think I was trying to get
Oxycontin or Percoset or something for the way they acted when I wanted the
prescription food! They actually told me, if I wanted any more I had to
bring Rusty down for THEM to check him out (a 45 minute drive one way)!
Evidently they don't think my vet knows what she's talking about. My
husband thinks it's just a money making issue, which it probably is. I
don't think that K/D food would kill any cat, but I had a prescription for
RENAL DIET food. My vet doesn't carry a large variety of food because
they're a small office, and some she just can't get and some takes her time
to get. So, if Rusty wants what she can't get, I'm stuck looking for
another option. Thankfully there's a vet hospital near me that carries a
good variety (don't know yet if they carry K/D chicken, they were closed
today, but they probably do) but they never even ask to see the
prescription, they just sell me what I ask for. So, why is PetSmart so
difficult to deal with?

Patty
Old May 27th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

It's about the money.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old May 27th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Our Petsmart wasn't difficult at all. We got the prescription faxed to
them, they issued a card, and we just had to show it each time we
checked out with the food.

Rhonda

Patty wrote:
So, why is PetSmart so
difficult to deal with?

Patty

Old May 27th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On Sun, 27 May 2007 06:38:36 GMT, Rhonda wrote:

Our Petsmart wasn't difficult at all. We got the prescription faxed to
them, they issued a card, and we just had to show it each time we
checked out with the food.

Rhonda

The PetSmart here gave me a card that I could use just one time. They told
me if I wanted to purchase more food, I had to bring my cat in to see their
vet and be checked out. I said that they'd need bloodwork to verify a
kidney problem, you can't tell just by looking at the cat and they said
they would contact my vet to get the bloodwork. Then they told me that
after I fed him the food for awhile, they'd need to see him again to make
sure the food was working ok. Huh? I have my own vet that I like and it
closer to my home, thank you very much. They told me that if they sold me
food and my cat had problems, they could be liable (that was their excuse).

So, I won't be visiting PetSmart again. I'll just check with other vets in
my area. Btw, their price per can is actually higher than the price at the
vet's office.

Patty
Old May 27th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Patty" wrote in message
[...]

I think your husband is correct. Also, I would never use Banfield.

MaryL

Old May 27th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On May 27, 8:55 am, Patty wrote:
[...]

Banfield has lots of ways of separating you from your money. A
prescription from your own vet should have been enough, and not a
reason to force you to use their veterinary services.

Lis

Old May 27th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:32:22 -0500, MaryL wrote:

"Patty" wrote in message
[...]

I have no intention of using Banfield, I just thought that PetSmart would
be an easy way to try different foods when Rusty got tired of what he was
eating. He usually likes a change every few months or so. I would have
thought a prescription from my vet would have been sufficient for me to buy
food at the store. They told me that they could be liable if my cat had an
adverse reaction to the food. Hogwash, I say, they could have me sign a
release if that was the case. I just think their vets need more work and
more money so they want to force people in to use them. In fact, they
wanted to keep my prescription and I told them they could make a copy and
give the original back to me, thank you very much, which they reluctantly
did.

I'll just call different vet offices from now on when I need to try
different food. They're all very accomodating with my prescription. In
fact, I've never had to even show it to them. Guess they figure when I'm
asking for a specific food, I know what I'm talking about.

Patty
Old May 28th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

. ..

"Patty" wrote in message
[...]

No, I didn't think from the tone of your message that you had any intention
of Banfield. I put that comment in more as information (or warning) for
others. Banfield if a very large, commercial operation, and many people
probably go there simply because it is so "convenient" since they are
located within PetSmart.

MaryL