Geeting Rid of Fleas

Old May 29th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

Default Geeting Rid of Fleas

My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I saw
several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old and
thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat 12 or more
weeks older.

what do I do in the meantime?

Thanks,
David L

Old May 29th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 28 May 2007 23:56:00 GMT, "David Mooney"
wrote:

My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I
saw several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old
and thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat
12 or more weeks older.

what do I do in the meantime?

What did you buy at Walmart? A lot of the stuff you can buy there for
fleas is not safe and/or effective. I recommend that you return what you
got at Walmart and buy some Frontline Plus. You can get this either at
your vet's office or at a Pet Supply store. It's safe for kittens 8 weeks
and older, and very effective. Well worth the cost.

Just buy a 3 dose pack (or whatever is smallest) and then later order it
on-line for less money. I use http://www.xfleas.com and haven't seen
better pricing anywhere else, but you may still want to shop around, of
course. Just be careful that you get guaranteed US made product--there are
a lot of counterfeits out there.

--
Lynne
Old May 29th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

David Mooney wrote:
My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I saw
several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old and
thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat 12 or more
weeks older.

what do I do in the meantime?

Thanks,
David L

Please don't use the flea stuff from Wal-mart. Many of those store
brands aren't safe for cats, no matter the age. You can use a flea
comb to get rid of the fleas. Have a dish of soapy water nearby to put
the fleas in as you are combing. Vacuum everywhere regularly, and
change the bag/cup every time you use it (so the fleas don't stay
inside and breed). Wash her (and your) bedding in hot water.

Old May 29th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

"Rene S." wrote in message
oups.com...

David Mooney wrote:
My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I saw
several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old and
thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat 12 or
more
weeks older.

what do I do in the meantime?

Thanks,
David L

Please don't use the flea stuff from Wal-mart. Many of those store
brands aren't safe for cats, no matter the age. You can use a flea
comb to get rid of the fleas. Have a dish of soapy water nearby to put
the fleas in as you are combing. Vacuum everywhere regularly, and
change the bag/cup every time you use it (so the fleas don't stay
inside and breed). Wash her (and your) bedding in hot water.

Thanks Rene for the information. I havee heard that Borax sprinkled on the
carpet will kill fleas. I bought a box off Borax at Wal_Mart the other day
but haven't used it yet. Does Borax really kill fleas in the carpet?

Thanks,
David L

Old May 29th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

In many cases just treating the cat with Frontline will take care of the
problem. Any fleas elsewhere in the house will try to get on the cat
for blood and die.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 29th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Thanks Rene for the information. I havee heard that Borax sprinkled on the
carpet will kill fleas. I bought a box off Borax at Wal_Mart the other day
but haven't used it yet. Does Borax really kill fleas in the carpet?

To echo what Lynn said, I wouldn't use the borax either. It might get
on your kitten's paws and she might lick it off/eat it.

Looks like you'll be returning a few things to Wal-mart.

Rene

Old May 29th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

"Rene S." wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Rene for the information. I havee heard that Borax sprinkled on
the
carpet will kill fleas. I bought a box off Borax at Wal_Mart the other
day
but haven't used it yet. Does Borax really kill fleas in the carpet?

To echo what Lynn said, I wouldn't use the borax either. It might get
on your kitten's paws and she might lick it off/eat it.

Looks like you'll be returning a few things to Wal-mart.

Rene

Yes, I will have to return these items if I can (I do not have the receipt).
Still, the items didn't cost that much so I can use the Borax as a deoderant
and will give someone else the Seargent flea killer. I used Sergeant a year
ago and it seemed to work. Of course I also used bombs and rugspray. I
killed the population by September and haven't had a flea trouble with my
other 3 cats so far this year until I brought in my new companion. I think
he got his fleas when he was with my sister because the infestation is very
high and Jacob is 9-10 weeks old. I need to beat this thing early in the war
or my other 3 cats will get infested and I will have to get them
disinfected.

Years ago my mother used a flea killer that killed the fleas with a
combination of water and something else (she was disinfesting the dogs).
Cats don''t like water though and when I find out what it is I may try to
use that as well. But so far it seems Frontline and Advantage are the most
popular brands, even over Seargeant. I noticed Wal-Mart still sells HARTZ
and I don't understand why.

I have been on this NG only a short while and I am learning more about cats
every day.

Thanks,
David M

Old May 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Years ago my mother used a flea killer that killed the fleas with a
combination of water and something else (she was disinfesting the dogs).
Cats don''t like water though and when I find out what it is I may try to
use that as well. But so far it seems Frontline and Advantage are the most
popular brands, even over Seargeant. I noticed Wal-Mart still sells HARTZ
and I don't understand why.

Frontline and Advantage are considered "prescriptions" and can't be
bought in discount stores. You used to have to go to your vet's
office to get it, though now, of course, you can also buy online or
through mail order. This is where the "other" brands come in to
supposedly fill the gap.

Welcome to the group, BTW! I've been reading this group for years, but
am still learning new things.

Old May 29th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 29 May 2007 20:47:59 GMT, "Rene S."
wrote:

Frontline and Advantage are considered "prescriptions" and can't be
bought in discount stores. You used to have to go to your vet's
office to get it, though now, of course, you can also buy online or
through mail order. This is where the "other" brands come in to
supposedly fill the gap.

Frontline doesn't require a prescription, FYI.

--
Lynne

PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS! EADGBE Cat health & behaviour 22 January 15th 07 04:18 PM
fleas David Spicer Cat health & behaviour 4 September 9th 05 12:31 AM
fleas graciedv Cat health & behaviour 11 June 19th 05 03:15 PM
Fleas? or something else? carlene Cat health & behaviour 2 February 23rd 05 12:43 AM
fleas Jenni G. Cat health & behaviour 24 July 19th 04 07:43 PM