Cats changed bowel habit

Old June 1st 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clyde

Default Cats changed bowel habit

I have two 12 or 13 year old female litermates. They are strictly indoor
cats and have only escaped once several years ago.

For about the last two months, these cats have increased their water intake
substantially, and subsequently their urine output has increased
accordingly. The mystery is that the volume of their feces has declined
substantially and is very dry. We feed them wet food, and used to
supliment that with dry treats daily. We have cut out the cry treats, but
their turds are still dry.

I service their boxes daily to remove the urine soaked liter and the few
dry turds that are in the boxes.

Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.

Other than this one problem, they appear to be in perfect health.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Old June 1st 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:09:04 GMT, Clyde wrote:

I have two 12 or 13 year old female litermates. They are strictly
indoor cats and have only escaped once several years ago.

For about the last two months, these cats have increased their water
intake substantially, and subsequently their urine output has
increased accordingly. The mystery is that the volume of their feces
has declined substantially and is very dry. We feed them wet food,
and used to supliment that with dry treats daily. We have cut out the
cry treats, but their turds are still dry.

I service their boxes daily to remove the urine soaked liter and the
few dry turds that are in the boxes.

Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.

Other than this one problem, they appear to be in perfect health.

Any suggestions.

Take them to the vet.

--
Lynne
Old June 2nd 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Yes, take them to the vet to be checked. They may be diabetic or have
another disease brewing. They are geriatric cats and are more vulnerable to
disease.
Gail

Old June 2nd 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Fri 01 Jun 2007 06:09:04p, Clyde wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:Xns9942AE7C54080wealdattnet@
204.127.36.1:

Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.

Here is the clue. Is it possible they have been eating food on the
recall list? Increased thirst and urination and dry stools could be
a sign of kidney disease. I agree with Gail and Lynne - time for an
exam.

--
Cheryl

Old June 2nd 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clyde

Cheryl wrote in news:Xns9942E1C5EBA6Eshads@
130.133.1.4:

On Fri 01 Jun 2007 06:09:04p, Clyde wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:Xns9942AE7C54080wealdattnet@
204.127.36.1:

Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.

Here is the clue. Is it possible they have been eating food on the
recall list? Increased thirst and urination and dry stools could be
a sign of kidney disease. I agree with Gail and Lynne - time for an
exam.

I'll check that. Mostly they eat "Fanct Feast" brand of wet cat food. We
have a few cans of "Special Kitty" brand, but our cats do not like it and
will simply not eat it. Too cheap for them!!
Old June 2nd 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...
[...]

Yes, *any* unexplained change in litterbox habits (urine or feces output,
stool that is suddenly too hard or too soft, urinating outside the
litterbox, etc.) should call for an immediate trip to the vet. It will
often me a minor health problem that can be easily treated if found early,
but a delay can lead to more serious issues.

MaryL

Old June 5th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sat 02 Jun 2007 08:34:50a, Clyde wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

I'll check that. Mostly they eat "Fanct Feast" brand of wet cat
food. We have a few cans of "Special Kitty" brand, but our cats
do not like it and will simply not eat it. Too cheap for them!!

Please check back in and let us know how they are.

--
Cheryl