Feel like I was gypped at the vets - advice wanted

Old June 17th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
svu geek

Default Feel like I was gypped at the vets - advice wanted

I've been going to the same veterinary clinic for several years now.
The other day I took my cats in for their yearly exam. When it was
time to pay, the receptionist told me everything that they had done
(minus the individual cost) and then told me the final cost. I was
anxious to get out of there because two of the cats were freaking out,
one was scared and shaking and the other was severely angry. I've
never seen them act that way before.

Later that day I looked at the bill and realized two things. One, they
had charged me for the distemper vaccination and the annual exam. In
the past, they only charged for one, the vaccination has always been
included in the exam. So I would always pay $38 total but now they
charge separately so I end up paying $68. Had I known they changed
this, I never would've gotten the vaccination because it really isn't
necessary with this particular cat. So I would've saved $30.

The other thing they did was failed to give me a discount for bringing
in multiple cats. In the past, if I brought in multiple cats for the
yearly exam, instead of paying $38 for each exam I would pay $30 for
each exam. This time they charged the full price.

I was never notified of any of these changes.

I ended up going back there and talked to a different receptionist
about it. She told me that they changed the vaccination/exam policy
last year. I told her that they may have done that but last year I
didn't have to pay separately. I also told her that it was
unacceptable and wrong not to notify their clients of this change.

Then I asked about the discount for bringing in multiple cats and she
said they have never done that there. I told her they did it last year
because I got the discount.

She said there was nothing I could do, but she would let the office
manager know how I feel.

I am really ticked off here. I would like my money back for the
vaccination. I was never notified of the change and had I been, I
never would've gotten that vaccination. I won't worry about the
discount for the multiple cats because I would've taken the cats in
anyway, but I would like to give them a piece of my mind about that.

They keep jacking up the prices (so do all the other animal hospitals
in the area) and it's ridiculous. With these prices, I won't be able
to take two of my younger cats in this year (fortunately I can do a
home exam - I even have my own stethoscope). I suspect many other
people feel the same way. I spend more in veterinary bills for routine
stuff then I spend in health care for me, and I don't even have health
insurance.

Should I voice my concern to whoever is in charge and politely ask for
my money back for the vaccination? I don't want to be labeled a
problem client, but I think what they did is wrong. Or am I wrong for
just assuming that the prices for that were still the same as they've
been for years? Like I said before, they always included the exam and
vaccination cost together. Now you have to pay separately which costs
way more, in addtion to the fact that all the prices have gone way up.

Old June 17th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jun 16, 11:37 pm, svu geek wrote:
[...]

Your vets prices & policies are about the same as here. With any
veterinary
procedure, you can always get an estimate beforehand, then there's no
surprises.
Probably a good idea to do, it helps you budget the costs and you
don't get
sticker shock at the counter.
And yes, if you demand your money back, you will be labeled a problem
client. I wouldn't
do that, unless you plan to never patronize this vet again.
You can always call around and compare prices for a routine exam &
vaccs. Don't let $68
keep you from getting your cat's health evaluated. I mean, what's
that...$6 a month? You can
budget that much in. You can't examine your own cat as well as a vet,
can you?
There's a low-cost spay/neuter clinic here that also does exams/vaccs
at a greatly reduced cost. Some
vets offer once-a-year "vaccination clinics" and offer deals.That's
something you might consider.

Sherry

Sherry

Old June 17th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
svu geek

Sherry wrote:
[...]

Thank you for that advice. I would feel that asking for a refund would
cause problems. I just think it's very deceitful for them to change
policies and then not tell anyone. I always ask about the costs of
everything else beforehand because I know the prices are always
changing. But for them to change the way the exam/vaccination costs
work is different.

I wonder if it would cause a problem to at least voice my concern to
the manager? I'm also considering suggesting (maybe anonymously) that
they consider discounts for people with a lot of pets, senior
citizens, low income households, and/or trying some sort of contract.
They could offer discounts on yearly exams and vaccinations as well as
other things if people sign a contract promising to bring their pet
there for a certain number of years.

Unfortunately, I have contacted over 80% of the clinics in my area and
their prices are all about the same (absurdly high). Two of the
reasons I choose to go to this clinic is because 1) I trust the doctor
to not lie to me. I've had two previous doctors lie/withhold
information that only hurt my cats. and 2) they are the second closest
clinic to where I live. All the other places are just too far away to
take some of my cats. Some of the cats get extremely upset during the
car ride and I worry that they will stop breathing or have a heart
attack or something. The one's heart was beating extremely fast, his
temp went sky high, his eyes looked strange, and he was acting like he
was going to pass out or something.

As far as the home exam, I think I can do just a good a job as the
average vet can (if not better). Although, I would never skip taking
my older cats in for their exam. These veterinarians around here are
really pathetic. They are completely misinformed about many health
issues from feline herpes to Chylothorax. It amazes me that they even
have a license. I'm better at diagnosing my cat then they are. I know
that sounds cocky and full of crap but it is true. My relatives always
come to me for a second (or sometimes first) opinion about their cats
because they know the veterinarians around here are not that great. I
would've been a veterinarian but I would never get passed those
science courses, and I'd faint performing surgery.

Old June 17th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angry_dad

"svu geek" wrote in message

Should I voice my concern to whoever is in charge

ARE YOU TRYING TO BE A PROBLEM SG?

you don't need the money, what are you worried about

it's just money; besides they'll consider you a problem if you correct their
error

Old June 17th 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 17, 2:17 am, svu geek wrote:

Thank you for that advice. I would feel that asking for a refund would
cause problems. I just think it's very deceitful for them to change
policies and then not tell anyone. I always ask about the costs of
everything else beforehand because I know the prices are always
changing. But for them to change the way the exam/vaccination costs
work is different.

If the exam is an anual exam, the price could have changed many months
earlier. ARe they supposed to announce to every client for the next
year that their prices changed? I Have seen prices go up a little over
the years at my own vet, but I have never seen or heard an
announcement. Vet prices are not usually displayed like prices at a
grocery store. You can always ask in advance, but there is never any
guarantee that the price is the same as last year. With all the
increasing costs in gas, electricity, etc; I would be very surprised
if prices did not go up.

As for the vaccination being charged separately, that is a surprise.
But quite honestly, I have never heard of any exam that includes
vaccinations, and certainly not one for such a low price. I pay $40
for a standard exam. (no vaccines, bloodwork, etc).

I wonder if it would cause a problem to at least voice my concern to
the manager? I'm also considering suggesting (maybe anonymously) that
they consider discounts for people with a lot of pets, senior
citizens, low income households, and/or trying some sort of contract.

It would be nice, but keep in mind that offering a discount in one
area will probably mean an increase in something else.

They could offer discounts on yearly exams and vaccinations as well as
other things if people sign a contract promising to bring their pet
there for a certain number of years.

Sorry, this one would be foolish for the vet. The could never force a
customer to continue coming for a set number of visits. The contract
would be invalid. People would lie left and right, just to get the
discount, even if they had no plans of ever returning. My vet does
give a small discount for additional pets at the same time. And they
give a free toenail trim with senior exam (which costs more since it
includes bloodwork). They also give a reduced fee for a return
checkup.

A vet cannot assume a customer will be loyal if there is very little
history to go on. For example, the vet says payment due the day of
services and no payment plans, because people who can't afford vet
care would simply never pay if not forced to that day. But when I had
a larger bill looming (after 10+ years as a customer), the vet said
not to worry, payments would be fine.

As far as the home exam, I think I can do just a good a job as the
average vet can (if not better). Although, I would never skip taking
my older cats in for their exam. These veterinarians around here are
really pathetic. They are completely misinformed about many health
issues from feline herpes to Chylothorax. It amazes me that they even
have a license. I'm better at diagnosing my cat then they are. I know
that sounds cocky and full of crap but it is true.

You're right. It does sound full of crap. Do you know how to diagnose
a heart condition? Do you know all the symptoms? I took my dog in for
one thing and the vet knew even before an x-ray that my dog had a
heart condition. And it was NOT from using a stethoscope (her heart
sounded fine). Can you tell me the symptoms to look for, and a heart
condition that shows those symptoms but sounds fine? And what would a
good treatment be? I thought I knew exactly what the problem was. I
just wanted to confirm it. And I was completely wrong.

Any good pet owner can handle basic problems. But there are a lot of
health conditions that we are not trained to recognize, and which may
be mistaken for something else. And if we assume we know it all, we
will miss it. Also, we do not have the ability to prescibe
medications.

I can understand that you may not like your vet. But I am sure that
even a bad vet is more trained than you, since they had to pass vet
school (and it doesn't sound like you have had any vet classes).

Old June 17th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

This is an excellent, wel-thought-out response. I hope the OP will read it
carefully and not overreact to this situation. This incident involved a
change in prices, but it was not deceptive. I think it would be a good idea
to ask if the clinic would consider a slight reduction in price for exams
with multiple cats, but that would need to be worked out in advance of a
visit.

MaryL

Old June 17th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Were you present during the cats' exams? I am curious as to why you seemed
to find an unusually upset cat afterwards. It seems as though you are
really unhappy with your vet. Have you spoken to him or her directly rather
than trying to deal with all these receptionists? My own reaction to all
this would be to just walk. (Find another vet.)

My own vet raised his prices and they seem very high to me. I had
questioned this group about them because I have a well, 4 year old cat.
Others in the group said the price was right. I can afford these bills but
think some people will just not be able to be responsible pet owners and
it's a shame.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old June 17th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"svu geek" wrote in message
ups.com...
Should I voice my concern to whoever is in charge and politely ask for
my money back for the vaccination? I don't want to be labeled a
problem client, but I think what they did is wrong. Or am I wrong for
just assuming that the prices for that were still the same as they've
been for years? Like I said before, they always included the exam and
vaccination cost together. Now you have to pay separately which costs
way more, in addtion to the fact that all the prices have gone way up.

Who made out the bill, the vet or assistant/receptionist? The vet might not
even know how you were charged. Sometimes the person making out the bill
doesn't know about arraignments you have with the vet. This is common if
the person making out the bill is new- they just follow the prices on a
chart. Just politely ask your vet if he changed his billing policies
recently. He'll probably make an adjustment.

Phil

Old June 18th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
svu geek

barb wrote:
Were you present during the cats' exams? I am curious as to why you seemed
to find an unusually upset cat afterwards. It seems as though you are
really unhappy with your vet. Have you spoken to him or her directly rather
than trying to deal with all these receptionists? My own reaction to all
this would be to just walk. (Find another vet.)

My own vet raised his prices and they seem very high to me. I had
questioned this group about them because I have a well, 4 year old cat.
Others in the group said the price was right. I can afford these bills but
think some people will just not be able to be responsible pet owners and
it's a shame.

The cat that was scared has been scared there before but I've never
seen her shaking like she was. The other cat was really mad which is
unusual for him. He seems to get madder every year that he has to go,
but this year he was really MAD. He was growling which I've never
heard him do before in 10 years and I thought he was going to bite the
vet. With his various health conditions, I don't like upsetting him
anymore than I have to.

I just want to make this clear, because there seems to be some
confusion. And please don't respond unless you read this entire thing,
that's why there's confusion.

I'm not upset about the prices going up because they go up every year,
I fully expect that. What I am upset about is that they are now
charging separately for the distemper vaccination. It used to be
included in the exam so it didn't matter whether you got the
vaccination or not, you still payed the same price: the cost of the
exam. I guess you could look at it as paying full price for the exam
and getting the vaccination free. It's been that way for years. Now
they are charging separately for the exam and vaccination. So you end
up paying twice as much and they're not telling anyone that.

To me, this is different then just simply raising the prices. Now
they're throwing in an extra charge without telling anyone. That's
deceitful. What if you went out to a restaurant you'd been going to
for years. When you received your check at the end of the meal, there
was a $20 service charge that had never been included before and was
not listed anywhere on the menu or posted anywhere in the restaurant.
Wouldn't you be upset? Shouldn't that restaurant have notified people
beforehand? It could've been something as simple as a sign on the
front door. That's what I'm upset about: a hidden charge. The vet or
office manager could've posted a sign on the front door or above the
front desk where all the other notifications are, but they didn't.

Old June 18th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 12:09 am, svu geek wrote:

To me, this is different then just simply raising the prices. Now
they're throwing in an extra charge without telling anyone. That's
deceitful. What if you went out to a restaurant you'd been going to
for years. When you received your check at the end of the meal, there
was a $20 service charge that had never been included before and was
not listed anywhere on the menu or posted anywhere in the restaurant.
Wouldn't you be upset? Shouldn't that restaurant have notified people
beforehand? It could've been something as simple as a sign on the
front door. That's what I'm upset about: a hidden charge. The vet or
office manager could've posted a sign on the front door or above the
front desk where all the other notifications are, but they didn't.

What difference does it make whether it is listed together or
separate. You got the same service and product, and the price now
higher. If they had listed it together and charged you $68, you would
still be complaining at the $30 jump in price.

The real question is why did it jump that much in only a year. Could
be many reasons. The only way to know is to ask.

Personally, I find it a bit odd to include a vaccination in an exam
price to begin with, and I think you were getting a great deal before.
I've never heard of that before.

I'm also curious to know your answer to my previous question about a
heart condition and symptoms.