Need orphan kitten advice

Old July 25th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lisacat

Default Need orphan kitten advice

I'm caring for three orphan kittens about 10 days old. The feeding is
going well and they have gained weight steadily. They did develop the
sniffles over the weekend and were fussy and stubborn with nursing but
that is improving... I can be stubborn too! My question is, one of the
boys seems to always have extra gas and bloating. His poop is normal
although he produces more than the others. Today there was some bloody
mucous in it. It's way too soon to deworm them isn't it? Can I add
some slippery elm or something to his formula? Thanks in advance for
any help!

Old July 25th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FourCatServant via CatKB.com

Blood in their stool should be checked out by a vet. The fact it is
accompanied by bloating and extra gas is alarming, it could be a parasite
problem. Until they are 6 months old they are susceptible to many things.

How is their mother? Have they been around any other cats?

Better safe than sorry.

Old July 25th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

I *think* they are too young to worm. It could be a bacterial imbalance
though. Best bet is to get at least a call into the vet and see what they
think. BTW what color is the poop?

Wendy

ups.com...

Old July 25th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lisacat

Sadly, they were found in a precarious situation and no mother could
be found. They are isolated from other animals. The gas and bloat
isn't extreme and isn't always present. When nursing with a slight URI
a certain amount of air is ingested. The stool is normal color and
consistency except for the speck of red mucous. My experience with
vets and neonatal kittens is the cat rescuers know much more! If he
was in distress I wouldn't hesitate.

Old July 25th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lisacat

Thanks Wendy. Poop is yellowish brown, usually quite soft, but formed.
Someone suggested overfeeding, so I"m going to rethink their feeding
schedule. We've been doing every 3 hours, but I may do every four and
see if he gets some relief.

Here's their photoset on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisacat...7600872528637/

On Jul 25, 3:21 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
I *think* they are too young to worm. It could be a bacterial imbalance
though. Best bet is to get at least a call into the vet and see what they
think. BTW what color is the poop?

Wendy

ups.com...

Old July 25th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

I've got some the same age and am doing breakfast, lunch, dinner and
bedtime. They are swilling the formula like their is no tomorrow and sleep
soundly between feeding except when they are starting to commando crawl
around the carrier I'm keeping them in.

If the poop gets looser you could try adding more water when you mix up the
formula (assuming your using powdered). If it goes very yellow on you see if
you can get some probiotic but that's when I'd check with the vet first.

Wendy

oups.com...

On Jul 25, 3:21 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
I *think* they are too young to worm. It could be a bacterial imbalance
though. Best bet is to get at least a call into the vet and see what they
think. BTW what color is the poop?

Wendy

ups.com...

Old July 25th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lisacat

Sounds good! I'll ease them into a new schedule and see how they do.
I've had 2 week-olds and lots of weaning age, but never newborns. Also
have a call into vet, so... paws crossed!

Commando Crawl! That's it exactly, LOL!

On Jul 25, 4:12 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
I've got some the same age and am doing breakfast, lunch, dinner and
bedtime. They are swilling the formula like their is no tomorrow and sleep
soundly between feeding except when they are starting to commando crawl
around the carrier I'm keeping them in.

If the poop gets looser you could try adding more water when you mix up the
formula (assuming your using powdered). If it goes very yellow on you see if
you can get some probiotic but that's when I'd check with the vet first.

Wendy

oups.com...

On Jul 25, 3:21 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
I *think* they are too young to worm. It could be a bacterial imbalance
though. Best bet is to get at least a call into the vet and see what they
think. BTW what color is the poop?

Wendy

roups.com...

Old July 26th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jul 25, 1:50 pm, lisacat wrote:
I'm caring for three orphan kittens about 10 days old. The feeding is
going well and they have gained weight steadily. They did develop the
sniffles over the weekend and were fussy and stubborn with nursing but
that is improving... I can be stubborn too! My question is, one of the
boys seems to always have extra gas and bloating. His poop is normal
although he produces more than the others. Today there was some bloody
mucous in it. It's way too soon to deworm them isn't it? Can I add
some slippery elm or something to his formula? Thanks in advance for
any help!

Lisa, bloody mucus in the stools usually means coccidia, although, if
they contracted
the parasite at birth then it shows up at two weeks old. Yes, it is
way too soon to
worm them. I"m not familiar with slippery elm--what's it supposed to
remedy?
Don't forget to burp the kittens after feeding. It'll help the little
gassy one particularly.
Good luck with your babies. Mine turned 6 weeks old on Sunday. That's
a real
milestone!

Sherry