Do cats have a predisposition toward hating dogs?

Old September 16th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Do cats have a predisposition toward hating dogs?

I wondered if cats have a predisposition toward hating or maybe not
getting along with dogs?

Otherwise, I think the stray kitten we found may have had some hard
times with the jerk stray mutts in this neighborhood.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 16th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

On Sep 15, 10:14?pm, "-Lost" wrote:
I wondered if cats have a predisposition toward hating or maybe not
getting along with dogs?

no, I don't think so...I've had friends with both animals that co-
exist just fine, sometimes there little spats...but I have 2 cats and
they do it..any multiple pets in household will have that at
times...maybe not fish, I'm loopy been sick

plus there's the experience that a cat has or hasn't w/dogs
if they've been chased or harassed, of coarse and if they've had no
experience

then again when was kid I grew with a very gentle dog, Murphy..I would
sleep using her as a pillow, but she would kill a cat anytime she
could, then again Murphy was Springer Spaniel supposed to be my dad's
hunting dog, she was gun shy got slighly clipped by a bullet..hell I'm
gone shy & never had that happen

So the bred can make difference and the experience's of the cat and
then there's the owner's and how they treat their pet's

there's no black & white answer, shaded of gray just like life
: )

if you know someone with a dog that likes cats and there many that
do..perhaps you could slowly introduce them
maybe not then they would think all dogs are good...oh my making no
sense at all..time for bed

couldn't help you any, sorry

lynn

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything,
you risk even more.
~Erica Jong

Old September 16th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote in message
I wondered if cats have a predisposition toward hating or maybe not
getting along with dogs?

Yes, they are natural enemies. Or so they say. Seriously, I think
cats raised with friendly dogs from youth do great with them, but
cats that are not fear them, instinctively. Dogs are programmed to
chase cats, or at least it seems like an instinct to me. What exactly
is going on?

Old September 16th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from ensoul :

On Sep 15, 10:14?pm, "-Lost"
wrote:
I wondered if cats have a predisposition toward hating or maybe
not getting along with dogs?

no, I don't think so...I've had friends with both animals that co-
exist just fine, sometimes there little spats...but I have 2 cats
and they do it..any multiple pets in household will have that at
times...maybe not fish, I'm loopy been sick

Bettas are the first thing that come to mind. I have two, Ronin and
Cracker and I THOUGHT I had given them enough room between their two
aquariums, but then I noticed they stared at each other constantly
flaring their gills. Luckily I got hip to it quick enough to move
them farther apart before my poor fishies gave each other heart
attacks.

plus there's the experience that a cat has or hasn't w/dogs
if they've been chased or harassed, of coarse and if they've had
no experience

then again when was kid I grew with a very gentle dog, Murphy..I
would sleep using her as a pillow, but she would kill a cat
anytime she could, then again Murphy was Springer Spaniel supposed
to be my dad's hunting dog, she was gun shy got slighly clipped by
a bullet..hell I'm gone shy & never had that happen

I had a dog similar to that, a Doberman that my mother found when I
was a young child. Her name was Maxine and she killed at least 3 to
5 moles per month. I used to beat her with a soft foam bat that I
had and my mother says she honestly believed Maxine loved it.

So the bred can make difference and the experience's of the cat
and then there's the owner's and how they treat their pet's

there's no black & white answer, shaded of gray just like life
: )

if you know someone with a dog that likes cats and there many that
do..perhaps you could slowly introduce them
maybe not then they would think all dogs are good...oh my making
no sense at all..time for bed

couldn't help you any, sorry

Oh no, you helped just fine. I just wanted a little insight into
what this kitten may or may not be going through.

Thank you for your time, Lynn.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 16th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "cybercat" :

"-Lost" wrote in message
I wondered if cats have a predisposition toward hating or maybe
not
getting along with dogs?

Yes, they are natural enemies. Or so they say. Seriously, I think
cats raised with friendly dogs from youth do great with them, but
cats that are not fear them, instinctively. Dogs are programmed to
chase cats, or at least it seems like an instinct to me. What
exactly is going on?

See I always heard the same thing. Enemies from birth or whatnot,
but at the same time I know of SEVERAL cases of puppy and kitty love.

Well, we sort of fell into this stray kitten today and believe it or
not NO ONE would help us shelter the animal. The pound euthanizes
their animals after 4 or 5 days if they are not adopted and we
really wanted a "no kill" policy if possible. The only animal
refuge we have was full and well, that was the end of our options.

So we decided to keep her.

Anyway, we have 2 dogs so here is what I did to make things easier
on everyone. I went to the pet store and bought some pig ears to
keep the dogs busy while the kitty surveys the land.

This worked quite well, whereas before this every time they walked
past her she hissed loudly, arched her back, you know... the usual
"I do not like this situation" posturing. With the dogs not even
bothering to look up though, she merrily pranced right beside one of
them.

My spouse and I left for the evening to have dinner and when we came
back we started the acclimation process again and this time no
matter what, the kitty would NOT have it.

On the bright side, she is ALREADY litter box trained! I know, it
amazed us too. I bought her a litter box, filled it with litter,
and plunked her down in it and she pawed it for a good minute or so
and then had herself a grand ole' time. She is the SWEETEST thing
in the world and does nothing weird or out of the ordinary, but she
simply does NOT want to be near these dogs.

I am afraid though she is going to have to learn to live with them,
otherwise she will be asked to leave and I hate to think of what
would happen to her at the only place that would take her.

So basically I just wanted to know if this was something I could
help her through or if it was a lost cause.

It seems I have my answer. Stick with it and she will eventually
understand my doggies love her too.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 16th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote

Well, we sort of fell into this stray kitten today and believe it or
not NO ONE would help us shelter the animal. The pound euthanizes
their animals after 4 or 5 days if they are not adopted and we
really wanted a "no kill" policy if possible. The only animal
refuge we have was full and well, that was the end of our options.

So we decided to keep her.

Bless you. She will be a total joy, I bet. I have never had a kitten!

Anyway, we have 2 dogs so here is what I did to make things easier
on everyone. I went to the pet store and bought some pig ears to
keep the dogs busy while the kitty surveys the land.

This worked quite well, whereas before this every time they walked
past her she hissed loudly, arched her back, you know... the usual
"I do not like this situation" posturing. With the dogs not even
bothering to look up though, she merrily pranced right beside one of
them.

This is hilarious. I think it is just her instinct. Since they are not
reacting
with aggression, bet they become fast friends!

My spouse and I left for the evening to have dinner and when we came
back we started the acclimation process again and this time no
matter what, the kitty would NOT have it.

A little time can work wonders.

On the bright side, she is ALREADY litter box trained! I know, it
amazed us too. I bought her a litter box, filled it with litter,
and plunked her down in it and she pawed it for a good minute or so
and then had herself a grand ole' time. She is the SWEETEST thing
in the world and does nothing weird or out of the ordinary, but she
simply does NOT want to be near these dogs.

Hee, she just has healthy instincts. You will find that she is very clean
as long as you don't make the box unattractive to her--in my
experience cats naturally want to go in the box, you have to
screw something up for them to eliminate inappropriately.

I am afraid though she is going to have to learn to live with them,
otherwise she will be asked to leave and I hate to think of what
would happen to her at the only place that would take her.

Yeah, right. She's not going anywhere.

So basically I just wanted to know if this was something I could
help her through or if it was a lost cause.

It seems I have my answer. Stick with it and she will eventually
understand my doggies love her too.

Time and gentle patience.

Old September 16th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "cybercat" :

So we decided to keep her.

Bless you. She will be a total joy, I bet. I have never had a
kitten!

Thank you. We have never had one either. We are known by the
neighborhood children as the "people with all those animals" so we
just figured it was meant to be.

Anyway, we have 2 dogs so here is what I did to make things
easier on everyone. I went to the pet store and bought some pig
ears to keep the dogs busy while the kitty surveys the land.

This worked quite well, whereas before this every time they
walked past her she hissed loudly, arched her back, you know...
the usual "I do not like this situation" posturing. With the
dogs not even bothering to look up though, she merrily pranced
right beside one of them.

This is hilarious. I think it is just her instinct. Since they are
not reacting
with aggression, bet they become fast friends!

I am beginning to think they will too. Although the doggies never
did anything aggressive, I think she was just being cautious because
them coming to her to sniff her could have been them coming to eat
her.

On the bright side, she is ALREADY litter box trained! I know,
it amazed us too. I bought her a litter box, filled it with
litter, and plunked her down in it and she pawed it for a good
minute or so and then had herself a grand ole' time. She is the
SWEETEST thing in the world and does nothing weird or out of the
ordinary, but she simply does NOT want to be near these dogs.

Hee, she just has healthy instincts. You will find that she is
very clean as long as you don't make the box unattractive to
her--in my experience cats naturally want to go in the box, you
have to screw something up for them to eliminate inappropriately.

I read everything PerfectPaws.com had to say on the subject and it
basically said the same thing. I specifically liked this FAQ:

"Why does my cat urinate in his litter box but sometimes defecate in
my bathtub?"

So we are definitely going to stay on top of a clean and healthy
litter box as I do not want her in my tub. ; )

I am afraid though she is going to have to learn to live with
them, otherwise she will be asked to leave and I hate to think of
what would happen to her at the only place that would take her.

Yeah, right. She's not going anywhere.

Aren't animal lovers so predictable? I knew when I wrote it that she
was not going anywhere. I think because I believe she is going to be
OK here. Calm down kitty... all is well... calm... down...

So basically I just wanted to know if this was something I could
help her through or if it was a lost cause.

It seems I have my answer. Stick with it and she will eventually
understand my doggies love her too.

Time and gentle patience.

Thanks for your feedback, cybercat. I appreciate it.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 16th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"-Lost" wrote:

See I always heard the same thing. Enemies from birth or whatnot,
but at the same time I know of SEVERAL cases of puppy and kitty love.

We have six cats and two dogs and they all get along fine. In fact,
one of the cats, Moe, thinks he's a dog. He runs wiith them, wrestles
with them, lets them maul him, and comes back for more.

We used to do rescue work for cats and have had dozens, maybe
hundreds, and none of them had a problem with the dogs.
Old September 16th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from Richard Evans :

"-Lost" wrote:

See I always heard the same thing. Enemies from birth or whatnot,
but at the same time I know of SEVERAL cases of puppy and kitty
love.

We have six cats and two dogs and they all get along fine. In
fact, one of the cats, Moe, thinks he's a dog. He runs wiith them,
wrestles with them, lets them maul him, and comes back for more.

We used to do rescue work for cats and have had dozens, maybe
hundreds, and none of them had a problem with the dogs.

That is great to hear! Mainly because Gabby, so named for her
constant mewing, is fairly adamant on at least hissing at the dogs.

I see progress though. Like her hissing at Pudge 5 minutes ago and
then smelling one of Pudge's paws. Then she bounded down the
hallway.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 18th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 16 Sep, 03:14, "-Lost" wrote:
I wondered if cats have a predisposition toward hating or maybe not
getting along with dogs?

Otherwise, I think the stray kitten we found may have had some hard
times with the jerk stray mutts in this neighborhood.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

I don't think so.

I feel it is all to do with who cares for the dog that makes the
difference. If you have a multiple animal households, then it's the up-
bringing that makes or breaks whether they get along, or not. Mine get
along fine. We also have a great deal of rescue cats, all of whom seem
to fear dogs, but after a small spell with Binky & Pickles, they
realise that dogs are not so bad after all.
K.