Female cat overshooting the litter box

Old October 10th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Student 1

Default Female cat overshooting the litter box

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. My fixed female cat
has just started urinating over the side of the litter box. Her box is
emptied almost as soon as she does a bowel motion so the box isn't full.
Her litter is those crystals that you can buy that last for 4 weeks. I've
used it for almost a year so I don't think that is the problem. Can anyone
please help any answers would be appreciated.

Gillian

Old October 10th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

As the other posters have already stated:
1.have her checked for a urinary tract infection
2. Try a covered box or one with higher sides
3. switch to a non scented clumping litter.
Gail

Old October 10th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

If you're looking for an inexpensive box with higher sides, but a
Rubbermaid or equivilant and cut out part of one side. She will be
able to get in and out but the sides will contain the mess.

It's also possible she might just need a bigger box. I use those under-
the-bed Rubbermaid boxes. They only cost about $5 each and are much
larger than a typical litter box.

Old October 10th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 10 Oct, 01:38, "cindys" wrote:
"Student 1" wrote in message

...I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. My fixed female cat
has just started urinating over the side of the litter box. Her box is
emptied almost as soon as she does a bowel motion so the box isn't full.
Her litter is those crystals that you can buy that last for 4 weeks. I've
used it for almost a year so I don't think that is the problem. Can
anyone please help any answers would be appreciated.

Gillian

-----
First have your cat checked by your vet to ensure that this is not a urinary
tract infection or other medical problem. The other question I would ask is
if your cat is elderly. Urinating over the side of the box is not unusual in
elderly cats. Assuming your cat does not have a medical condition, a covered
box will take care of this problem by keeping the urine inside.

If all of that checks out, don't assume the crystals aren't the problem. I
was buying those crystals for the longest time, and my cats used them
without a problem for at least a year or maybe longer. Then, one of my cats
decided she didn't like them after all and decided that the living room
carpeting made a much better litter box. Since I had multiple cats and
multiple litter boxes, as an experiment, I switched one litter box back to
regular scoopable litter. The wayward cat immediately stopped using the
carpeting in favor of the scoopable litter. Additionally, all of the other
cats also started using the scoopable litter exclusively, and they all
universally refused to use any of the litter boxes with the crystals
anymore. Cats can go through phases. I have another cat who would go for
months urinating in the bathtub and would then spontaneously return to using
his litter box. Since you like the crystals, try switching to the crystal
blend as an experiment. It has the crystals for absorption and odor control
and it clumps very hard. There is very little odor at all compared to the
regular scoopable.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cindy, could you suggest a brand or name of the litter that is crystal
filled, but acts like clumping litter please? I would be interested to
know more about a product like that. TIA.
Sheelagh "o"