The best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

Old October 17th 07, 07:49 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default The best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

Most of you probably have an opinion on this issue and I'd be grateful
if you'd kindly share it:

What is the best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

(The diner can decide the issue herself)

This is for a ~one year old female. She can decide the taste and
texture issues herself; we only have to figure out the nutrition/cost
ratio.

I have read a lot about cat nutrition: more fat & protein, less carb,
no wheat gluten, minimum mercury, not too much Ph, not too much beef,
not too much seafood, etc. But I am finding it difficult to translate
all this into brand decisions.

Everything else being equal, I'd prefer 5.5 oz cans. But if a 3oz only
company (eg, Fancy Feast) makes most sense, then so be it.

Old October 17th 07, 02:24 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I have read a lot about cat nutrition: more fat & protein, less carb,
no wheat gluten, minimum mercury, not too much Ph, not too much beef,
not too much seafood, etc. But I am finding it difficult to translate
all this into brand decisions.

Everything else being equal, I'd prefer 5.5 oz cans. But if a 3oz only
company (eg, Fancy Feast) makes most sense, then so be it.

You're going to find several opinions on this group. I fed the canned,
grain-free varieties of Wellness and felt the quality for the money
was excellent. The price can vary so *call around* and ask. Some
stores give discounts by the case, others have a punch card for % off
a future sale, but you won't know unless you ask. You can find a store
locator on their site: http://www.omhpet.com

Their food is made with human-grade ingredients, but make sure to buy
the *grain free* varieties (it says so on the label).

There are lots of other high-quality foods out there; this is only one
example. My general opinion is that price should not be a large
factor. You might spend a little more on food but less on vet bills in
the long run. The most important thing is to feed a high-quality NOT
dry diet.

Rene

Old October 17th 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Oct 17, 9:24 am, "Rene S." wrote:
[...]

chicken drumsticks or thighs chopped up with a sharp knife; occasional
chicken hearts.

Old October 17th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

In article .com,
honeybunch wrote:

: chicken drumsticks or thighs chopped up with a sharp knife; occasional
: chicken hearts.

Yes I have thought about it, but feel afraid this won't be a complete
meal. I wish there was an inexpensive gravy to convert simple meat into
complete cat food but I am not ware of any.
Old October 17th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Barb wrote:

: With 7 cats and a fixed income, fancy feast is not my preferred choice. But,
: to each his own.

So, what is your recommendation for the best value? That's what I came
here for.

I am not a FF fan. That was just a rhetorical statement meaning I know
it is outrageous but I will do anything you folks tell me I have to.
Old October 17th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
Most of you probably have an opinion on this issue and I'd be grateful
if you'd kindly share it:

What is the best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

(The diner can decide the issue herself)

This is for a ~one year old female. She can decide the taste and
texture issues herself; we only have to figure out the nutrition/cost
ratio.

I have read a lot about cat nutrition: more fat & protein, less carb,
no wheat gluten, minimum mercury, not too much Ph, not too much beef,
not too much seafood, etc. But I am finding it difficult to translate
all this into brand decisions.

Everything else being equal, I'd prefer 5.5 oz cans. But if a 3oz only
company (eg, Fancy Feast) makes most sense, then so be it.

In the case of my cats, no matter what brand I buy, the cats are going to
get tired of it pretty soon. So, I "mix it up", and buy different brands in
different stores every week or two, just so the cats will stay
interested.....I probably don't get the best nutrition/cost ratio by doing
this, but my cats aren't starving, and they do like to eat......

Old October 17th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"RPSinha" wrote in message
Most of you probably have an opinion on this issue and I'd be grateful
if you'd kindly share it:

What is the best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

(The diner can decide the issue herself)

This is for a ~one year old female. She can decide the taste and
texture issues herself; we only have to figure out the nutrition/cost
ratio.

I have read a lot about cat nutrition: more fat & protein, less carb,
no wheat gluten, minimum mercury, not too much Ph, not too much beef,
not too much seafood, etc. But I am finding it difficult to translate
all this into brand decisions.

Everything else being equal, I'd prefer 5.5 oz cans. But if a 3oz only
company (eg, Fancy Feast) makes most sense, then so be it.

My five get canned Fancy Feast "pate" varieties for their two meals a day
and can free feed on Science Diet Advanced Formula (Mature Adult for the
adult cats and Kitten Formula for the kittens) dry left out all the time
(but the bowls are washed and they're given fresh once a day) in case they
get the munchies. One thing to remember about giving them a quality food is
that they'll eat *less* of it because it meets their nutritional needs
better (this also translates into less deposited in the litter boxes - and
added benefit for the cat's slave). My neighbor, who feeds her cat "Meow
Mix" uses three times the amount I use - so the end costs are about the
same.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 17th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Oct 17, 10:43 am, RPSinha wrote:
In article .com,

honeybunch wrote:

: chicken drumsticks or thighs chopped up with a sharp knife; occasional
: chicken hearts.

Yes I have thought about it, but feel afraid this won't be a complete
meal. I wish there was an inexpensive gravy to convert simple meat into
complete cat food but I am not ware of any.

There is some great (and detailed) information here on making your own
raw food:
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm

Old October 18th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

honeybunch wrote:

: chicken drumsticks or thighs chopped up with a sharp knife; occasional
: chicken hearts.

Yes I have thought about it, but feel afraid this won't be a complete
meal. I wish there was an inexpensive gravy to convert simple meat into
complete cat food but I am not ware of any.

There is some great (and detailed) information here on making your own
raw food:http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm

The reason Ive been feeding Beebe a raw diet is because he really
doesnt like canned cat food. I always have to throw part of it out
every morning. Of course, he loves and adores dry cat food. It must
taste like a big Mac and french fries to him but it is really not good
for his peepee. He loves chicken, chicken hearts and beef if its cut
into tiny cubes. Trader Joes has frozen boneless skinless chicken
thighs which are the easiest thing in the world to cut up. When I buy
the drumsticks i hack off a bit of the knuckle ending and include it
much to his satisfaction. A farmers market sells chicken hearts for
$1 a pound. He used to be a feral cat but now he is sleek and shiny
and seems to be thriving on a raw diet. I dont know if it would work
for all cats..