eosinophilic granuloma

Old October 29th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ElvisRocks

Default eosinophilic granuloma

Hi all - sorry I haven't been posting in such a long time...and
nobody needs to hear my tale (tail?) of woe but anyway,
Cali was finally diagnosed definitely with eosinophilic granuloma
and they won't give her anymore Depo....they said the 1st thing
is limit her diet so I bought IVD Rabbit Formula (gross)from the vet -
which she absolutely refuses to eat. She's supposed to be on
Clinda-Cure but of course that's not working out well either &
since it's one person trying to do a two (or 3) person job that's
not going well. At any rate, they had said after the food thing,
they do bloodwork to pinpoint the allergy. This cat will starve
herself to death before she eats that rabbit meat. I gave in and
gave her regular food - at least she's eating because that was
a problem for awhile.
Anyway, does anybody have any experience, info with this?
It's on her front legs now, too, along with her mouth. It's HORRIBLE!
I'm inclined to just have the blood allergy work done and get
it over with.
Thanks all...
and you don't even want to KNOW how many little furry adoptees I've got
now!!
Carol

Old November 3rd 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ElvisRocks

Thanks Cheryl - I called my vet and they said because she
would still have some Depo in her system they can't do the
bloodwork for another 3-4 weeks but to just feed her whatever
she'll eat in the meantime. If she doesn't eat better by Monday
I'm going to have to take her back to the vet, even if they
have to keep her a couple days to get the antibiotic in her.
I seriously doubt it's food allergy. Probably fleas - which I've
had off & on for a long time. Mostly "off" but I know just one
bite can trigger it. This has been a really bad year for them.
Thanks, carol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 29 Oct 2007 03:19:02p, ElvisRocks wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

[...]

I went through this with a vet who refused to give the only
treatment that helped my cat's EGC, a DepoMedrol shot. I changed
vets. Yes, things need to be ruled out to try to find the cause,
but if the cause can't easily be found, the cat is still miserable
and it isn't fair to deny the only thing that gives relief. In
our case, the allergy testing didn't include food allergies, so
that doesn't rule out/in a food allergy. Unfortunately you can
only do that with a food trial. Shamrock couldn't comply with that
one either. He's doing well without steroids but is on
cyclosporine. Either find what the allergen is and try to
elliminate it, or get relief for the cat. Those are the only
options, because letting the cat suffer isn't.

--
Cheryl

Old November 4th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 30, 9:58 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

MY CAT HAS BEEN HAVING ITCHING, SCRATCHING AND LICKING HIMSELF RAW. hE
HAS HAD PROBLEMS FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND WAS TREATED BY MY VET WITH DEPO
INJECTIONS (A STEROID) LIKE YOURS 2 $39.00 PER, AND IT WORKS FINE FOR
ABOUT 5 MONTHS, THEN BACK TO THE VET. THIS MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT I
GAVE UP WITH FOOD ALLERGY TRIALS AND I WENT ON THE NET AND FOUND "CAT
MANGE (NOTOEDRIC)". THIS SEEMED LIKE WHAT MY CAT HAD (A MICROSCOPIC
MITE) SO I TRIED ADAMS FLEA DIP @ 1 OUNCE PER GALLON AND POURED THE
SOLUTION OVER HIM SOAKING ALL HIS BODY EXCEPT RIGHT AROUND HIS EYES. I
LET HIM DRIP DRY AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY. AFTER 3 TREATMENTS 6 DAYS
APART HE DOES NOT SCRATCH AT ALL. THE LIFE CYCLE OF THESE BURROWING
MITES MAY REQUIRE SEVERAL MORE TREATMENTS. i WISH YOU LUCK, PLEASE
RESEARCH THESE MITES, EVEN THOUGH "MANGE" SOUNDS SO DISGUSTING. ONE
ARTICLE SAID THAT MOST VETS HAVE NEVER DIAGNOSED NOTOEDRIC MANGE. MY
CAT WAS ORIGINALLY FROM A SHELTER AND THESE ANIMALS ARE SUBJECT TO
MANY STRANGE DISEASES FROM STRAYS.

Old November 4th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote

[...]

That's kind of interesting. Let us know how your cat does over time. The
problem I see is that
if it is NOT mites, the chemicals may exacerbate a sensitive cat's skin
problem. By the way, if
the Depo shots are providing comfort for five months, you are doing very
well. The only reason
I can see for your denying your cat the shots is money, right? Please don't
do that. They cost
$40 at the most, right? My cat has both asthma and EGC, and gets 2-3 shots
a year that just
manage to control both. She has gotten them now for six years with no ill
effects.

By the way, might you make the effort to turn off your caps key and just
capitalize as needed?
All-caps look like you're yelling at us. (If this is part of your personal
expression, by all means
continue! But it may cause people to make negative assumptions about you. If
you are like me,
you probably don't care, hahaha)

Old November 4th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ElvisRocks

Hmm. That's interesting but they did biopsy her and it is definitely EGC.
I'm taking her to the vet again Tuesday to try to get her some relief
until they can do the allergy bloodwork. She'd been having the Depo
shots every 6-8 weeks for over 2 years. She looks awful now.
She's eating a little but this is insane. What an awful disease.

wrote in message
ps.com...

Old November 8th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ElvisRocks

I had to take Cali back to the vet today. She stopped eating
and is so miserable They are keeping her for a few days
to get her hydrated and on more antiobiotics. My poor girl

. ..