Electronic cat doors that lock both ways

Old December 27th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Electronic cat doors that lock both ways

Does anyone know if someone makes a cat door that requires a magnetic/
RF collar to open it for both coming in and going out?

We have four indoor cats and one 1/2 wild mostly-outdoor cat who came
with the house. We spent the last couple month teaching her to come
inside to eat and now we'd like to allow her to come and go as she
pleases. The problem with most electronic cat doors is that they will
allow any cat out and only allow the cat with the collar in. We don't
want the others to go out.

The bigger problem is that the raccoons have discovered the cat door
and can pull it out to get in. Last night they ate all the food on
the porch and then proceeded to trash the automatic feeder and crap
all over the porch. I have never seen raccoons like this (we are in FL
now). In WA state they came down and mooched but had way better
manners and NEVER crapped anywhere close to the house.

We need some way to provide food for our wild girl when we have to go
out of town (the others go with us in the RV). She wouldn't come to a
cat-sitter and if the cat-sitter were to leave the food, the raccoons
would get it again (and trash the place again). If anybody has ANY
ideas of where to get a cat door that requires a magnet/RF collar for
both entry and exit (or any ideas at all), we would be eternally
grateful.

Thanks,
Gail
Old December 27th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail in Florida

On Dec 27, 9:16 am, "cindys" wrote:
Gail, I don't know how much this is worth to you, but if you can't find one
elsewhere, you may want to consider having one custom-made. I'm not an
electrician, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult. There is
obviously a mechanism on the outside of the door that responds to an
electronic device on the collar. I suspect you could order a second
mechanism (from the company that manufactures the door) and have someone
(who knows how) install the second device on the other side of the door. Or
you may need to purchase two doors and install them back-to-back or
something like that.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

[...]

Thanks, Cindy, I was thinking about a two door solution except the
raccoons could still get in and do their damage.
Old December 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Dec 27, 2:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

I wonder if these would be of any help to you. I have provided some
links for you to look @ the product to see if this is what you are
looking for?

The reason I ask, is because I note that there is a new way of
operating a cat flap.

You only you can get this door to operate, is by getting them
electronically chipped, & the cat flap recognises the chip, without
the need to have those ridiculous collars that we have used in the
past! One would assume that if they only allow the cat with the right
chip in it, then it would prevent the other cats going out, & also the
racoons coming in.

Some of the sites are UK based, but I am absolutely sure that if we
can get them over on this side of the pond, then you certainly should
be able to obtain one from USA. Have a look & see what you think. I
was looking for something similar myself a couple of months ago, for
Ringo to go into our garden if he wanted to. ( He still won't go out
alone!!), for similar reasons, but cats, not raccoons.

I know that it would mean chipping the cat, but that is not such a
hard thing to do, is it? The other thing that might be worth
mentioning, is that over here, we can get our pets chipped @ half the
cost that my vet can do it for. My vet wants £28 to chip my cat's, but
the local authority is willing to do exactly the same thing, for £15-
That is quite a saving, especially when you have more than one cat.
It's worth asking! I certainly would.

http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/

http://pet-mate.com/Cat_Mate/Flaps/L...etdoors_UK.htm

http://www.petporte.com/

I hope that this helps out. I didn't read all of them, but I think it
is worth thinking about.
**IF**... it only allows the cat with that chip through it, then I
would imagine it must only allow that singular cat in or out? Anyway,
hope it helps out & I'd love to know if they are as good as some
people say they are.

Sheelagh "o"

PS: is there any testimonials to read with them? Might be worth a look
too.
Old December 30th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gkul

Wow, the micro-chip cat flap is a great idea and would be PERFECT.
However, after reading the info on their site I found that it will not
work on micro-chips in the US, only those used in Britain and Europe
(bummer). This would have solved my problem as we have micro-chips in
all our cats. I talked my sister into putting micro-chips in her cats
a couple years ago and she actually got back a lost cat because he had
the chip, so she was pleased she'd done it.

Thank you, Sheelagh, for the info. I fired off some email to the
company and asked if they had plans for the US. I would love one of
these doors!

Gail in Florida

Old December 30th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Dec 30, 1:59*pm, gkul wrote:
[...]

too.- Hide quoted text -

I'm pleased that it was of some assistance to you. I came across it a
couple of months ago, because I was looking for something similar, to
allow some cats out, but keep others that are not used to going out, &
the protection that they obviously need. It is rather novel, isn't it?

I hope that they can help you. I see no reason why not. Maybe they
could send you the entire kit over to you, then all you need to do, is
take the corresponding chip to whomever you would normally take your
cat to, to be chipped & give them the chip to implant on your
behalf..

Sounds easy, lets hope it is just as easy to do yourself?!!
Good Luck!
Sheelagh"o"

New kind of electronic cat flap on sale Gadget Man Cat anecdotes 2 November 28th 07 02:08 PM
Cat doors Cadman Cats - misc 2 April 29th 06 05:36 PM
Electronic Cat Flaps Clive Backham Cats - misc 3 June 3rd 05 01:48 AM
Peeing on couch - time to lock him up? korey99 Cat health & behaviour 118 May 22nd 05 11:25 PM
Well of course I need four doors! Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 4 December 9th 04 04:43 PM