Blender Fancy Feast for Older Cat

Old February 17th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Default Blender Fancy Feast for Older Cat

Alino (pronounced Aleen-yo) is now almost 17 years old and very
precious to us. We (including Alino) lost his older brother,
Amaretto) to Diabetes and Kidney problems just a year ago. He is a
blue point Siamese, neautered male, with an incredibly sweet
disposition--very cuddly and loving. He has two medical problems:
(1) colon troubles (hard feces), for which he gets 2 units of
Lactulose at each meal, with both Metamucil and Cosequine sprinkled in
his food;
and
(2) dirty teeth. The vet will no longer give him a dental procedure
given his age and her suspicions about a possible enlarged heart that
might create a heart attack during the anesthesia needed for a dental
procedure.

Up until now, we have been feeding him a morning can of Figaro Tuna
and an evening meal of Roaster Chicken from our grocery store, where
we pull off a chunk of white meat and grind it between our fingers to
crush it. Alino tends to eat very little of his morning Tuna, and eats
some of his evening Chicken. He still loves dry food, but only snacks
at it now. He drinks a good amount of water every day, but has been
slowly but surely losing weight over the past year. He used to weigh
almost 16 pounds, but is now down to about 10.

This morning, when Alino refused his Tuna altogether, I tried
something new. His new little sister, Pemberton, (just adopted from
the North Shore Animal League as of Amaretto's death in April 2007) is
a terrific eater and loves the variety of Fancy Feast cans that we buy
her--mostly salmon, but other fish varieties too. I took a can of her
chicken and tuna in gravy and put it in the blender, with a can's
worth of extra water, the metamucil and the contents of one cosequin
pill. I poured it into a bowl and added a sprinkling of ground up
Roaster Chicken on top. Alino loved it and gobbled it down. Most
successful.

My question is: how safe is Fancy Feast for older cats? Our vet feels
that if a cat is hungry and eating, that is good enough and any type
of food will do. But, I just want to check with the group to see if
Fancy Feast is just too much fat and protein for my sweet older cat.

Many thanks for any and all responses!!

Peg

Old February 17th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Most types of Fancy Feast are very good for cats - a more balanced
nutrition than roasted chicken - that's for sure. My last cat live to
20 years and 3 months and ate nothing but two cans of Fancy Feast a
day.

Have you had the kitty tested for hyperthryroidism? You probably
should - with that weight loss and age. 17 is about the age that mine
was diagnosed and lived another 3 years with meds.

Old February 18th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:20:41 -0500, Peg Caldwell-Ott
wrote:

(2) dirty teeth. The vet will no longer give him a dental procedure
given his age and her suspicions about a possible enlarged heart that
might create a heart attack during the anesthesia needed for a dental
procedure.

No dental because of his age and POSSIBLE enkarged heart?!?!?!?

I would be seeing another vet for second opinion!!!