Becoming Very Discouraged - Heartbreaking

Old February 24th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Default Becoming Very Discouraged - Heartbreaking

Most everyone on this board has been very helpful and friendly. I
thought I should introduce myself before I go into the latest episode
we are experiencing with Max.

My husband and I have two - going on three cats now. We also have some
birds. Our pets are more like our children, really. We do not have
children, our pets are our children, LOL.

I joined the group because everyone really has been very helpful and I
enjoy reading all the posts. So thanks so much to all of you who have
posted in response.

You may or may not recall that we have Max, a gray and white tabby and
Butterball, an orange and white tabby.

Max just underwent that horrible awful surgery for the crystal issue.
I won't go into the specifics, but it sure is a nasty surgery. I
almost posted earlier this past week... but we are working through all
of this. For example he hates the elizabethian collar he has to wear
until the stitches come out and he has been scraping his butt on the
floor because it must itch like crazy...

I have considered getting diapers for him to prevent him from
scratching those stitches out... maybe I could even take the collar
off him if I could find a diaper that worked for this situation. I
just don't want the urine resting up on that surgical site.

I have found some diapers that might just work on the internet,
though. I could make some for the time being. I am beginning to think
I may have to use diapers on him for the rest of his life... and I
will if it comes to that.

Max has been hiding out in a bedroom downstairs since he got home from
the vets. Each night I go and get him and bring him upstairs to hold
and love while I read or find something else to occupy myself. I just
want him to feel loved during this difficult time. Then after I put
him down for awhile he gets a tiny bit more confident but as soon as
he has a problem with that collar (like banging into things with it)
he goes running back downstairs. I also spend some time petting and
talking to him in "his" room, too.

But the crux here is that Max is still not using the litter box as we
would hope. He uses the box probably most of the time, it just seems
like the problem is getting worse, not better.

I have been doing a search on this group for information... other
people have posted in regard to this issue in the past...

I am becoming REALLY FRUSTRATED as I just love this loving cat! He is
very special to us. He just has so much personality and he is so
affectionate without being obnoxious.

I cannot keep a cat that pees where ever he feels like.

My plan is to purchase a black light. Then I am going to clean every
spot I can find and spray it all down with an enzymatic cleaner. I
will even just keep him in a room with the litter boxes for awhile if
I have to. I saw another post to suggest a Feliway diffuser in hopes
that will help as well.

I will also talk to my vet about this on Monday. Do most people have
success with this sort of thing? I have heard of problems like this
with cats but this is not something I have gone through myself before.
Very frustrating.

Oh, and lest I should forget... they are both on Wellness canned food
now... So at this point I am truly at a loss.

Has his behavior become enmeshed? Is he doing this because it still
hurts to pee? The surgery site still bleeds a little... mostly because
he will not leave it alone.
Old February 25th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail[_2_]

Keep him in a room of his own with a litter box, bed, food, and water. See
if he will use the box if restricted to a smaller space. He is still
recuperating and it will take time for him not to feel uncomfortable. I
would also get a very large litter box for him (if you don't have one
already). I think in time he will be OK. My neighbor's cat had the same
surgery (shortening of the penis) and he needed to restrict the cat's space
until he was fully healed. If he consistently uses the box, you can
gradually increase his space.
Gail

Old February 25th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Feb 24, 8:55*pm, "Gail" wrote:
Keep him in a room of his own with a litter box, bed, food, and water. See
if he will use the box if restricted to a smaller space. He is still
recuperating and it will take time for him not to feel uncomfortable. I
would also get a very large litter box for him (if you don't have one
already). I think in time he will be OK. My neighbor's cat had the same
surgery (shortening of the penis) and he needed to restrict the cat's space
until he was fully healed. If he consistently uses the box, you can
gradually increase his space.
Gail"mc" wrote in message

I have to agree with this. Put him in a smaller room and see how he
does. Also, make sure the litter box has low sides, in case it's
uncomfortable for him to get in and out. It would not hurt to try a
Feliway diffuser and possibly some Rescue Remedy in his water to calm
him.
Old February 26th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"mc" wrote in message
[...]

Of cuorse it still hurts and the stitches itch like mad and the urine is
also very irritating to raw tissue. Helping Max keep it clean is very
important. How would you like a Elizibetahn collar around your neck?

The poor kitty needs time. You cannot rush these things. From what you say
he has had surgery when? Less than a week ago? You can't expect miracles.

Things will begin to improve soon. You are past the half way point. Ask
your vet about what you can apply to the wound. I am thinking something
like polysporin would be harmless enough. Maybe a cortisone cream if they
say it's ok. Just getting the urine off the skin will help his irritation
problem. Remember cats clean themselves after peeing and he can't do that
now. Help him out.

Relax and don't try to look to far into the future. Its too early to tell
what will happen but in almost all of these cases the cat does quite well.
It wouldn't hurt to take Max in for an exam either.

Paul

Old February 27th 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kate

wrote:

Does anybody have a short version for all this babbling nonsense?

Why would anyone want one?
Old February 27th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote
TheAmazingPuppyWizard @Mail.Com

Does anybody have a short version for all this babbling nonsense?

Yes, here it is: What, are you the last asshole on earth who has not
killfiled Jerry?

Old February 27th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:50:21 -0500, cybercat wrote:

wrote
TheAmazingPuppyWizard @Mail.Com

Does anybody have a short version for all this babbling nonsense?

Yes, here it is: What, are you the last asshole on earth who has not
killfiled Jerry?

Thanks for the laugh!!!MLB
Old February 27th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Who in the Hades is "Jerry"? You folks seem to know him - even by
name. I really need to start using the newsreader!

I wanted to thank you for all of your advice. I was feeling pretty
sorry for him after the surgery. Of course, I also tend to suspect the
worst - and tend to worry excessively.

The surgery was done a week ago this past Monday. Last night Max came
upstairs and spent most of the late afternoon and evening with us (as
is much more normal for him) and even slept upstairs (though not back
on the bed with us yet which is understandable given the collar he is
wearing). He has been jumping up in my lap while I am at the computer
and he always puts his paws up on the table as if he is trying to
type, too. It is pretty cute :-)

Anyway, long story short, he is back to using the litter box as of
right now and doing well with it. I am learning, too, as we go
along... But in any case, I now feel much more confident about how to
deal with the problem if he does urinate outside of the box again,
thanks to this group.

And Phil, you too... thanks for the advice about cleaning him up. It
seems like common sense but I appreciate the reminder. I am sure the
whole surgical area feels much better to him when it is clean. And
Phil, you were right about everything you wrote in that post. I really
appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!!!

Old February 27th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

That makes sense. I was wondering why he seemed to be targeting this
post (except for a post he left as of Feb. 25)...

Again, thanks for all the help ;-) Can't thank you enough! I was also
very much encouraged when I read a post about a urine issue you had
with one of your cats but you worked through it. That was in reply to
sherman. It helps to know there are some solutions if we should have
further problems.

Thanks again,
Melissa

Old February 28th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"mc" wrote in message
Who in the Hades is "Jerry"? You folks seem to know him - even by
name. I really need to start using the newsreader!

I wanted to thank you for all of your advice. I was feeling pretty
sorry for him after the surgery. Of course, I also tend to suspect the
worst - and tend to worry excessively.

Hey no worries. I have worried myself into illness when my beloved cats
have had crisises. You don't suspect the worst you fear it and that is only
normal when something you love is hurting. But you have to be strong for
them, it makes all the difference.

The surgery was done a week ago this past Monday. Last night Max came
upstairs and spent most of the late afternoon and evening with us (as
is much more normal for him) and even slept upstairs (though not back
on the bed with us yet which is understandable given the collar he is
wearing). He has been jumping up in my lap while I am at the computer
and he always puts his paws up on the table as if he is trying to
type, too. It is pretty cute :-)

All signs that everything will be just fine, and that right soon.

Anyway, long story short, he is back to using the litter box as of
right now and doing well with it. I am learning, too, as we go
along... But in any case, I now feel much more confident about how to
deal with the problem if he does urinate outside of the box again,
thanks to this group.

Even more reason for optimism.

And Phil, you too... thanks for the advice about cleaning him up. It
seems like common sense but I appreciate the reminder. I am sure the
whole surgical area feels much better to him when it is clean. And
Phil, you were right about everything you wrote in that post. I really
appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!!!

Do post a follow up when Max is all better and hist stitches are out.

Paul