Update, Daisy and Cash

Old March 18th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Update, Daisy and Cash

Just an update if any were wondering. As of today (5 days earlier than
estimated in a dog-free house) Daisy (cat) now decided her new perch is the
top of the sofa. Since Cash's (beagle mix) is the sofa, she sits and stares
down at him from about 12 inches away.

They are both sniffing gently at one another. There 'should' be a battle at
some point as Daisy puts Cash in his place (lets him know she's boss) but so
far Cash hasnt done more than roll over on his back (submissive pose) and
sniff at her sleepily while waggling tail. Don says she sniffed back down
from her lofty perch then looked away and started cleaning herself as if he
wasnt there.

Daisy's history is almost as murky as Cash's (both from the rescue center).
All we know is she was abused and had a fear of children but not dogs. She
however took right away to Charlotte (our 14 YO daughter). She was in
various foster homes for well over a year before we applied for her. She
barely would come out for the foster parents and only getting to play with
the various dogs they also fostered, would have her be seen. Daisy however
took to all of us immediately, in a way they had never seen her do. She did
not hide in her 'cage' but would come up and roll over for a belly rub.
When the opened the cage, she'd come out and play with us (lapkitty rubs!)
by the second visit. We had to wait almost 3 weeks to adopt her due to her
foster mom being away just then, but she's been here now for just a touch
over a week g. She knows, and Cash knows, they are in their 'forever
home'.

Old March 18th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like things are progressing really nicely. I am so glad to hear it.

Old March 18th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message ...
Just an update if any were wondering. As of today (5 days earlier than
estimated in a dog-free house) Daisy (cat) now decided her new perch is
the top of the sofa. Since Cash's (beagle mix) is the sofa, she sits and
stares down at him from about 12 inches away.

(snip)

Sounds like things are progressing really nicely. I am so glad to hear it.

Yup! Had alot of responses that we should have just let Daisy be euthanized
(as scheduled due to non-adoptability) because we had a new dog in the house
also. (gotten a little less than a week before). I went instead with the
advice of the rescue shelter as based on our own experience of adding cats
to existing cat households, and the known traits of the 2 pets.

Basically I told my hubby to let me deal with the integration of the cat and
did it just right. She still has a safe room, and knows it. She inside the
safe room, has 2 cubby holes even we cant get at without moving a 7ft sofa
first and another that requires moving a large bookshelf and yet, it's where
my computer is so she's used to me 'tapp tapping away' and can see us all
play from her safe corner.

Why is little Daisy urinating so much? Jenski via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 6 May 30th 05 10:12 PM
Took Daisy to TED Katz Cat anecdotes 20 March 18th 05 06:55 PM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Cat health & behaviour 0 January 4th 05 01:11 AM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Cat anecdotes 0 January 4th 05 01:03 AM
Daisy RB HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 16 December 28th 03 09:55 PM