Thug died today

Old June 16th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

Default Thug died today

A stray cat that I adopted five years ago died sometime
before first light this morning. He got sick suddenly. I first
noticed him not eating Friday, and during the weekend he
became less and less active, just wanting to lie in one place
for hours. I was going to call the vet this morning, Monday,
but Sunday evening I found him lying still and breathing hard,
and spent a few hours comforting him. It seemed to help
because his breathing got better. But eventually he just
wanted to lie by himself. He was on the bed when I went to
bed, but he went out during the night, and this morning I found
him under a bush.

The outside that I'm talking about is a very big fenced-in
area around the back yard where he had been living with
five other cats. None of the others have shown signs of
being sick, but of course I'm worried.

Thug may have been seven years old or older. He was a
fully grown tomcat when I adopted him, had him neutered,
etc, five years ago. If cats love people, he may have loved
me more than any of the others. He seemed to be very
grateful when I took him in, and he often would call from the
backyard for me to come downstairs, or at least talk to him
from the window.
Old June 16th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
free.teranews.com

"calvin" wrote in

If cats love people, he may have loved
me more than any of the others. He seemed to be very
grateful when I took him in, and he often would call from the
backyard for me to come downstairs, or at least talk to him
from the window.

I'm so sorry you had to lose him so young.

Old June 16th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jun 16, 1:31*pm, "cindys" wrote:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thug was very fortunate to have had you
(and you him).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Thanks. Except for accidents or mischief, I've never expected
a cat to go from appearing normal to dying in such a short time,
only three days.
Old June 17th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"calvin" wrote

A stray cat that I adopted five years ago died sometime
before first light this morning. He got sick suddenly. I first

Bless you for being there for all the time you were. He'd not have been a
happy healthy fellow without your love and care.

Old June 18th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

--
**Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**

Thanks, and thanks for the pictures. The long haired cat
in the window looks just like one of mine, Piglet.

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html
Old June 20th 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to calvin :

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Terribly sorry for your loss.

Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
composed of?

Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old June 20th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:13:58 -0500, "-Lost"
wrote:

Response to calvin :

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Terribly sorry for your loss.

Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
composed of?

Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?

Thanks!

That is a different looking fence. It is likely not only cat proof but
also varmint proof. I put one up that is basically chicken wire but
curves in at the top preventing the cats from climbing over. It works
fine, but it doesn't keep other critters from getting in, and they
usually can't get out. Only once did another cat end up trapped but
that was a bit of a mess.

I sometimes end up with a possum. They can't get out too easily
apparently. Raccoons treat the fence with contempt and are smart
enough to use the evergreens to get over. Only one cat figured that
out but didn't do it after the first time. She came from out there and
doesn't seem to have any interest in going back to the roaming
lifestyle.
Old June 20th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jun 20, 4:13*am, "-Lost" wrote:
Response to calvin :
http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Terribly sorry for your loss.

Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
composed of?

Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?

Yes, bought at Lowes in 50 ft rolls, 2 ft wide. You can
get different thicknesses.

I attached them by punching holes and using the
same little soft-metal ties that are used to attach the
chain link to the posts, using half of a tie at each
attach point.
Old June 20th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jun 20, 8:13*am, dgk wrote:
That is a different looking fence. It is likely not only cat proof but
also varmint proof. I put one up that is basically chicken wire but
curves in at the top preventing the cats from climbing over. It works
fine, but it doesn't keep other critters from getting in, and they
usually can't get out. Only once did another cat end up trapped but
that was a bit of a mess.

Cats can easily climb in from the other side of my fence,
and an intruding tomcat comes in regularly. He gets out
by a way that the other cats haven't tried. At the gate, the
sheet metal can't be attached so efficiently, and I have it
attached to the top of the gate. (The fence goes up to each
side of the house, but I still have a car gate for emergency
use.) He manages to perch on top of the sheet metal,
which is buckled, and then drop down to the other side.
I haven't fixed it because I don't want to trap him inside.

I sometimes end up with a possum. They can't get out too easily
apparently. Raccoons treat the fence with contempt and are smart
enough to use the evergreens to get over. Only one cat figured that
out but didn't do it after the first time. She came from out there and
doesn't seem to have any interest in going back to the roaming
lifestyle.

I've had possums too, but there's no problem for them
getting out because they (at least the smaller ones) can
climb up the brick wall of the house.

My biggest problem has been with the bottom of the fence.
It's not as easy as I expected to keep it secured to the
ground. Every few months a cat manages to get under it,
and I have to work on the weak spot.