Tuna bad for cats?

Old July 24th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

Default Tuna bad for cats?

My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.

Is this true?

I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
processed to remove anything harmful.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
Old July 24th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

canned tuna and fish have high levels of mercury in them yes it is bad but
not in small amount as a snack

male or female it does not matter
g...

Old July 24th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobblespin

Robotech_Master wrote in
g:

My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.

Is this true?

I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
processed to remove anything harmful.

According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never use
the kind for humans. It could be a problem if fed all the time, so for
years I've given it as a treat once every 2-3 weeks.

Bobble
Old July 24th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:46:55 -0400, Matthew wrote:

canned tuna and fish have high levels of mercury in them yes it is
bad but not in small amount as a snack

male or female it does not matter

I gather it had something to do with high levels of ash being bad for
the bladder or something.

Old July 24th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

http://maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Cats_N...onal_Facts.htm

Old July 24th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:54:41 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
rg...
My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.

Is this true?

I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
processed to remove anything harmful.

http://maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Cats_N...onal_Facts.htm

But is the above info for people tuna or "Tuna cat food" as the
original poster posted asking about?!?! The way I read and understood
the above web site it was talking about people tuna and not "Tuna cat
food". I could be wrong and if so am sorry.

One thing I find about these news groups is that people do not take
time and really read and understand some of the posts before they
reply such as the one above asking about tuna cat food and thus reply
with info that is not what the poster is not asking about so it not
not really answering their question or helping them. People see
certain words and zero in on them such as tuna, milk, cheese,
shelters, declaw. ETC and never give the poster what they are really
asking about such as tuna cat food versus people tuna.

Just my opinion. Sorry. Now everyone can get on my case and
blacklist me or whatever but I have seen the above happen several
times.

Old July 24th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:44:54 +0200 (CEST) from bobblespin
:
According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never use
the kind for humans.

Why not the kind for humans?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old July 25th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobblespin

Stan Brown wrote in
t:

Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:44:54 +0200 (CEST) from bobblespin
:
According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never
use the kind for humans.

Why not the kind for humans?

too much salt.

Bobble
Old July 25th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"kraut" wrote in message

http://maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Cats_N...onal_Facts.htm

One thing I find about these news groups is that people do not take
time and really read and understand some of the posts before they

Another thing I found out about these newsgroups is there's always a whining
netcop who can't resist an opportunity to complain about something. Have
you noticed that, too?

not really answering their question or helping them.

....and your post did? lol

Old July 25th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:48:42 GMT, Phil P. wrote:

"kraut" wrote in message

not really answering their question or helping them.

...and your post did? lol

Hmm, here I was hoping that you would provide an answer in your
response, so I wouldn't have to ask myself.

That page you provided gives information for "human" canned tuna.

It doesn't include a discussion of tuna cat food, which would
presumably be formulated to be more nutritious to cats. Is it?

What about the ash problem? (Which, oddly, I didn't see mentioned
even for the "human" tuna page, unless it was named something else and
I'm not aware of that.) Does human tuna have too much of it? Does
cat food with "real tuna" in it have high levels of the stuff too?