Feline shots question

Old August 14th 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

Default Feline shots question

I have a question regarding immunization for cats and hopefully
someone can help me out with the answer here.

I recently thook a stray adult male in that people left behind when
they moved (to where-ever) to be nuetered. While there I had them
immunize him.

There gave him a rabies shot which is good for a year as well as shots
for FVRCP and FelV. For the last 2 they said in 3 weeks he would need
(FVRCP and FelV) again (Booster or whatever).

Question that I have is that I asked why they could not give him the
full dose shot or whatever and they said the shots were the full dose
or regular shots but where we did not know if he had shots before he
would need them again in 3 weeks. My question is why?!?!? Please
explain in laymen's terms.

I feel that if they are regular shots they should be good for a year
whether he had shots before or not. Or is this just another way for
vets to make money??

Thanks for reply.

Old August 14th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I am not a vet, but my understanding is that kittens need boosters to
build up immunity to the disease. Since this is an adult cat that may
have been previously vaccinated, I do not feel that you need boosters
either. If it were my cat, I would not get them. If your vet is really
concerned about the cat's immunity, he/she can do what's called a
titer panel on the cat. It's a blood test that measures immunity to
major diseases and costs about $90.
Old August 14th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Many people feel that yearly shots are unnecessary (except rabies in
some BUT NOT all cases). Many vets recommend every three years. Even
that often may not be necessary if the cat never goes outside.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 15th 08, 05:11 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"kraut" wrote in message

I have a question regarding immunization for cats and hopefully
someone can help me out with the answer here.

I recently thook a stray adult male in that people left behind when
they moved (to where-ever) to be nuetered. While there I had them
immunize him.

There gave him a rabies shot which is good for a year as well as shots
for FVRCP and FelV. For the last 2 they said in 3 weeks he would need
(FVRCP and FelV) again (Booster or whatever).

Question that I have is that I asked why they could not give him the
full dose shot or whatever and they said the shots were the full dose
or regular shots but where we did not know if he had shots before he
would need them again in 3 weeks. My question is why?!?!? Please
explain in laymen's terms.

Adult cats don't require the FVRCP vaccination series- its only for kittens.
The kittens' maternal antibodies (antibodies received from the mother via
colostrum during nursing) will inactivate the vaccine. The FVRCP series was
designed to "break through" the maternal antibodies and immunize the kitten
as the maternal antibodies wane. Since there's no practical way to determine
exactly when a particular kitten's maternal antibodies will wane enough to
let the vaccine get though, the vaccinations are given 2-3 weeks apart until
the kitten is 12-15 weeks old. Maternal antibodies usually dissipate by
then. Cats over 15-16 weeks no longer have maternal antibodies to interfere
with immunization. So, your cat doesn't require a 2nd and 3rd vaccination.
Actually, he probably didn't even require the 1st- maybe just the FVRC- if
that. Your cat will not need another FP vaccination for at least *9* years
if not never again. Adult cats *very* rarely get FP- and when they do its
almost always subclinical. The FVRC component of the vaccine is good for at
least 3-4 years. Neither component prevents FHV & FCV, they only reduce the
severity of symptoms if you cat contracts the viruses.

If you'd like more information, go to my site:
http://maxshouse.com/feline_panleukopenia.htm The page was written by the
virologist at Cornell, Fred Scott, who discovered maternal antibody
interference in kittens and developed the FVRCP Series that is followed
today around the world.

The FeLV vaccine probably wasn't necessary, either.

Sounds like your vet is either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain
soaking you for as much as he can. In either case- he's not a vet I'd trust
with my cats' lives.

Phil

Old August 15th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 04:11:22 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"kraut" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks very much Phil. You have been a great help.

I have never been an advocate of all these shots every year and after
reading your reply and doing a little research on what you said it
makes me more so.

The only reason I got them was because he has been an outside cats
'til now and I wanted to make sure he was protected until I find him a
home.

Thanks again.

Old August 19th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alfie

"Phil P." wrote in news:Kl7pk.779$EL2.129@trnddc01:

"kraut" wrote in message

snip

Sounds like your vet is either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain
soaking you for as much as he can. In either case- he's not a vet I'd
trust with my cats' lives.

Phil

You've said similar things several times in this group. Makes me wonder
why are there so many incompetent, greedy or just plain bad
veterinarians being licensed to practice?
Old August 19th 08, 01:44 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"alfie" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in news:Kl7pk.779$EL2.129@trnddc01:

"kraut" wrote in message

snip

Sounds like your vet is either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain
soaking you for as much as he can. In either case- he's not a vet I'd
trust with my cats' lives.

Phil

You've said similar things several times in this group. Makes me wonder
why are there so many incompetent, greedy or just plain bad
veterinarians being licensed to practice?

It's the "Vet's Suck" troll!

Old August 19th 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kate

cybercat wrote:

"alfie" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in news:Kl7pk.779$EL2.129@trnddc01:

"kraut" wrote in message

snip

Sounds like your vet is either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain
soaking you for as much as he can. In either case- he's not a vet I'd
trust with my cats' lives.

Phil

You've said similar things several times in this group. Makes me wonder
why are there so many incompetent, greedy or just plain bad
veterinarians being licensed to practice?

It's the "Vet's Suck" troll!

Maybe it's an MD and is jealous that it only knows how to treat one species.
Old August 19th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil.P.

On Aug 15, 8:22*am, "Deborah, DVM" wrote:
"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

I don't believe that I've seen any feline veterinary authorities claim what
you claim above. *

I consider Dr. Scott a feline veterinary authority- and so does the
Cornell Feline Health Center, even if you don't. After all, he was the
first to describe maternal antibody interference in cats.

"Immunity produced by FP vaccines is long-lasting, perhaps for life.
Revaccinations every year would not seem to be necessary from a
scientific standpoint, but the vaccines are licensed for only 3 years'
protection." (Scott FC Cornel Book of Cats)

"If the kitten is 12 weeks of age or older when the first vaccination
with MLV is given, a second vaccination is not necessary. " (Scott,
FC. Diseases of the Cat p 190)

FRED W. SCOTT, D.V.M., Ph.D. Diplomate, American College of Veterinary
Microbiologists;
Professor Emeritus of Virology, College of Veterinary Medicine,
Cornell University, Ithaca;
Acting Director, Cornell Feline Health Center

The standard recommendations of the association of feline
practitioners is for all cats to get an initial series of fvr boosters 3-4
weeks apart, then every 3 years. *

Why revaccinate for FP every three years if the intitial vaccine
immunizes the cat for at least 6 years if not for life?

Even though maternal antibody may not play
a role, the booster is recommended to ensure full protection.

But they do! More from Dr. Scott on maternal antibody interference.

"Immunity acquired from the queen via colostrum (initial breast milk)
must be considered when establishing a routine vaccination program.
interference by maternally acquired (passive) immunity is the most
common cause of vaccine failure. There exists a direct correlation
between the FPV antibody level of the queen at the time of birth and
the duration of passive immunity in the kitten. This passive immunity,
if of sufficient strength, will not only protect the kitten against
virulent FPV but will also react with the vaccine virus and interfere
with immunization. Vaccination must be performed after kittens have
lost most or all of their maternally derived immunity."

hth,

Phil

Old August 19th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil.P.

On Aug 18, 8:20*pm, alfie wrote:
"Phil P." wrote innews:Kl7pk.779$EL2.129@trnddc01:

"kraut" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Sounds like your vet is either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain
soaking you for as much as he can. In either case- he's not a vet I'd
trust with my cats' lives.

Phil

You've said similar things several times in this group. Makes me wonder
why are there so many incompetent, greedy or just plain bad
veterinarians being licensed to practice?

Its all about money, Alfie.