Leaky Eye on my Birman

Old August 28th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Leaky Eye on my Birman

Hello, recently my cat (3 years old briman) began developing a leaky
eye. I brought her to the vet and he put her on Medication, well now
it's back and I am concerned. When I orginially brought her in he
asked a bunch of questions about our other cat and whether or not he
was treated for a series of things before he was brought into our home
(he was) he said the leak should clear up and if it didn't he'd have
to do blood work. Any idea what this would possible be?
THANKS!!
Old August 28th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

Hello, recently my cat (3 years old briman) began developing a leaky
eye. I brought her to the vet and he put her on Medication, well now
it's back and I am concerned. When I orginially brought her in he
asked a bunch of questions about our other cat and whether or not he
was treated for a series of things before he was brought into our home
(he was) he said the leak should clear up and if it didn't he'd have
to do blood work. Any idea what this would possible be?
THANKS!!

First off, what does the eye discharge look like? Is it clear (like
excess tearing) or mixed with colored mucous? If it's clear like
excess tearing, then it could be as simple as an irritation. If it is
colored (like yellow or brown), it's likely an infection. You did the
right thing by taking the Birman to the vet, though. I've taken
Lilith (my tabby-and-white spayed female) in for less.

If your Birman is cooperative, you might try gently cleaning out the
affected eye once or twice a day. A vet tech can tell you how to do
that over the phone.

Also, what kind of medicine did the vet give you for the leaky eye?

Sincerely,
Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at gmail dot com
Old August 28th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Aug 28, 4:31*pm, Debby Hanoka wrote:
[...]

Thank you. It was clear, no color at all. I will have to look at what
exactly the vet gave me when I get home but it was drops and a oral
tablet (that she hated taking!)
If you don't mind I will get back to you with the exact names.
Thanks again!
Old August 28th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(8/28/2008 4:49 PM):
[...]

if it's clear, it could just be allergies, or she just got a hair in the
eye. At least that's what I was told, my cat gets a teary eye
occasionally, it usually doesn't last long.

jmc
Old August 30th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Our Alino (18 year old neutered male blue point Siamese) has the same
problem. The discharge is clear. The vet said that it was most
likely a blocked tear duct. They can clear this in a younger cat
under anesthesia, but Alino is too old to have any sort of treatments
(including dnetal cleanings) under anesthesia now. We apply a warm
compress to the area every day, and the vet gave us a tube of
Terramycin ointment which we apply once a day--it seems to help a bit.

Peg