Hills Prescription Diet and our Vet. HELP!!!

Old October 29th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sideshowhaas

Default Hills Prescription Diet and our Vet. HELP!!!

Looking for advise.

Last year we had our male cat into the Animal Hospital for removal of
blockage in his UT. The Animal Hospital recommended Hill's s/d to
start with and then move him to c/d. After the s/d, our vet moved him
to w/d because he was slightly overweight. He gained weight on w/d and
our other cat (she) lost weight. We asked about switching to c/d but
were told he should stay on w/d. Therefore we reduced the amount he
gets and added a higher calorie food to her diet (she gets fed on a
pedestal to keep her food separate). It seems to have worked, he has
lost a #, she has gained a bit (she is very petite). .

We were under the impression that w/d would help with the crystals,
but now find out the w/d does nothing for them, only weight, which
actually had the opposite affect on him.

Our main concern is the crystals reforming in his penis (ouch). Am I
correct in thinking he should be on c/d to prevent crystals, and with
controlled feeding, to prevent weight gain? I also read in this forum
(7 May 99) that c/d was reformulated so it does not tend to put on
weight like it used to. Any truth to this?

Thank you in advance.
Old October 29th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Most of your problems could be resolved by feeding a canned diet. I
would recommend Wellness. Feed twice a day and don't free feed any dry.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 29th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"sideshowhaas" wrote in message
Looking for advise.

Last year we had our male cat into the Animal Hospital for removal of
blockage in his UT.

Mike is right.

Old October 29th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"sideshowhaas" wrote in message
Looking for advise.

Last year we had our male cat into the Animal Hospital for removal of
blockage in his UT.

Mike is right.

HOLY CRAP Cybercat agreed with someone ;-) Just kidding I think maybe
could be evil laugh

Old October 29th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sideshowhaas

Is the Wellness better than Hill's? Why all wet food? He does prefer
his dry food and he drinks a good amount of water.
Old October 29th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"cybercat" wrote in message

"sideshowhaas" wrote in message
Looking for advise.

Last year we had our male cat into the Animal Hospital for removal of
blockage in his UT.

Mike is right.

HOLY CRAP Cybercat agreed with someone ;-) Just kidding I think maybe
could be evil laugh

You wicked, wicked man.

Old October 29th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"sideshowhaas" wrote in message
Is the Wellness better than Hill's? Why all wet food? He does prefer
his dry food and he drinks a good amount of water.

Cats are carnivores, they need meat. Cats never drink enough water to keep
them optimally healthy, particularly male cats due to their blockage
leanings. You can Google up a whole bunch of information about this, in this
particular group.

Outside of this, the good effects of canned are clear in no time, the
increased energy levels, shiny coat, and the eagerness of the cats at
mealtime.

The chief draw of dry is convenience for the human. Cats are creatures of
habit and get used to it, but few will turn down canned when given a choice.

Start with putting down canned and a little dry. Feed 12 hours apart.
Wellness is fine, but I have cats that thrive on the brands of Fancy Feast
that have beef and chicken as first ingredients.

Old October 29th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
joe[_2_]

.

We were under the impression that w/d would help with the crystals,
but now find out the w/d does nothing for them, only weight, which
actually had the opposite affect on him.

Our main concern is the crystals reforming in his penis (ouch). Am I
correct in thinking he should be on c/d to prevent crystals, and
with controlled feeding, to prevent weight gain? I also read in this
forum (7 May 99) that c/d was reformulated so it does not tend to
put on weight like it used to. Any truth to this?

Thank you in advance.

I was told by our vet in a similar situation that c/d is not
sufficiently nutritionally complete for long-term use. I think that
its protein content is too low, but it may have been something else.
Old October 29th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Oct 29, 1:00*pm, sideshowhaas wrote:
Is the Wellness better than Hill's? Why all wet food? He does prefer
his dry food and he drinks a good amount of water.

Wellness (and other brands, such as Nature's Variety) is MUCH better
than Hills. Look at the ingredient list on the Hills vs. Wellness.

Canned food will help your cat on many levels:
1. Feeding canned will assure he gets more moisture in his diet (which
he needs with his urinary issues). Canned food is approx. 70% moisture
while dry is maybe 10%. They can't drink enough to make up the
difference.

2. A high-quality, grain free cat food will help him keep off the
extra weight. My oldest cat had this problem. See his web site for
info on weight loss: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

3. Dry food is not species appropriate. This is a must-read article on
cat nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

4. Your cat will have a healthier coat.

Another important note: I have learned that sadly, many vets are just
not knowledgeable about feline nutrition and only try to sell what's
on their shelves. It's up to YOU, the owner, to become educated and
make the best food choice for your cat. A really good book to read
(that includes great info on feline nutrition) is Your Cat. Here's a
link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...pf_rd_i=507846

Old October 29th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Rene. Exactly what was needed.