Urination in Bed

Old November 15th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Urination in Bed

My little dear has had a history of urinating on the floor. These
incidents have corresponded to infections and have ended after
anitbiotic treatments.

Recently, she has taken to wetting my bed. She was found to have
another infection and is on antibiotics but she is doing it every
other day now.

The urination itself is silent but I find out when she starts
scratching the bedding to "cover it up" with "litter (sheets).

She is now up to doing it every other day. Any ideas how to get her to
stop this disgusting behavior?
Old November 15th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
it's Hadrian

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 03:54:51 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

My little dear has had a history of urinating on the floor. These
incidents have corresponded to infections and have ended after
anitbiotic treatments.

Recently, she has taken to wetting my bed. She was found to have
another infection and is on antibiotics but she is doing it every
other day now.

The urination itself is silent but I find out when she starts
scratching the bedding to "cover it up" with "litter (sheets).

She is now up to doing it every other day. Any ideas how to get her to
stop this disgusting behavior?

Yep, my Tom did the same years ago and the solution was putting a
foodbowl on the bed. Strange but it worked.
Hopes it helps for you to.
All the best best from Belgium - Europe.

it's Hadrian

Old November 15th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

My first question is, what kind of food are you feeding her? Since she
has a history of urinary problems, wet food is HIGHLY advised. It will
increase her water intake and dilute her urine.

Most likely she is urinating elsewhere because she associates pain
with the the current litter box. I recently went through this with one
of our cats. What I did was buy NEW boxes and a NEW type of litter and
place them in NEW locations. You can also use the "Cat Attract"
litter. This worked great for me, and within a couple of weeks, when
she was feeling better, she was using the old boxes again.
Old November 15th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
My little dear has had a history of urinating on the floor. These
incidents have corresponded to infections and have ended after
anitbiotic treatments.

Recently, she has taken to wetting my bed. She was found to have
another infection and is on antibiotics but she is doing it every
other day now.

The urination itself is silent but I find out when she starts
scratching the bedding to "cover it up" with "litter (sheets).

She is now up to doing it every other day. Any ideas how to get her to
stop this disgusting behavior?

Close the bedroom door and confine her to a utility room or other small room
with her box, some toys, and some bedding, food and water. Cats are
creatures of habit, once she is in there for a day or two she should be
fine. If not, confine her again. (Make sure you visit her a lot and praise
and pet her.) She began peeing on the bed due to the infection, got in the
habit, and there you are. It's great that you took her to the doctor before
posting to Usenet. You just passed the Way Above Average rph+b IQ test.

Old November 15th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"it's Hadrian" wrote :

Yep, my Tom did the same years ago and the solution was putting a
foodbowl on the bed. Strange but it worked.

Well this is brilliant! Did he pee on anything else?

Old November 16th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Answers to questions.

1. She is eatting the $50/bag prescription diet dry food that is
supposed to be formulated for kidney function.

2. I will try the food dish in the bed thing thing. Unfortunately, I
have 2 cats where she is nibbler and he is a gobbler. So I cannot
leave food out for her on teh bed

3. My place is not large enough that there is no place I can hear her
scream. She does not give up. When I lock her up she, continues all
night without stop. (The other gives up after a while.)

4. We're supposed to go back to the vet in a couple of weeks after the
antibiotic cycle is over. However, she is not doing all of her weeing
in the bed. Just some of it. So there is some behavioral component to
the problem.

5. I'll try some litterbox modifications.

Old November 16th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message

Answers to questions.

[snips]

Good luck, this is a really tough one. Let us know what happens.

Old November 17th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Hi there,

We have a cat with urinary infections and general cystitis. He gives us
symptoms when his bladder is bothering him, and he has peed on the bed.
I've covered the bed with a sheet of plastic, like a shower curtain
liner. That kept him honest until he was feeling better.

I wouldn't do anything too unusual to him, any stress will flare up
bladder problems big time.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old November 17th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

1. She is eatting the $50/bag prescription diet dry food that is
supposed to be formulated for kidney function.

Since she has kidney issues, it's important that she gets more
moisture. Here's a must-read article on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/
Old November 17th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

wrote in message
My little dear has had a history of urinating on the floor. These
incidents have corresponded to infections and have ended after
anitbiotic treatments.

Recently, she has taken to wetting my bed. She was found to have
another infection and is on antibiotics but she is doing it every
other day now.

The urination itself is silent but I find out when she starts
scratching the bedding to "cover it up" with "litter (sheets).

She is now up to doing it every other day. Any ideas how to get her to
stop this disgusting behavior?

Close the bedroom door so she cannot get in. Seems simple to me ;-)

Tweed