excessive shedding

Old January 5th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

Default excessive shedding

Moe & Rudy (brothers, neutred, inddor cats) both long hairs (was my
late hubby's ideal...I wanted short hair cats...but I do love....my
first cat had long hair but I've never seen anything like this....my
daughter vacuumed for me yesterday...when I get up the rug will have
wads of fur all over the place and when I pet wads fo fur come off

they don't have blading spots....only Moe will let me use the
furminator and he's the wrose shedder...also the vet gave me a spary
to use, said it wouldn't help in the natural shedding cycle....they
don't have a natural shedding cycle - the shed all year long

I knew they wouldn't go for a spray i warmed a wash cloth that had
been soaked in stuff the vet gave - that was a battle too...but did
get done...remember cats are very strong for there size these 2 are 16
lbs and stand on thier hind legs (which they do often) their height is
32 and that on thier hind legs not full length

I have the Bissel pet Vac which does an amazying job

anything else I can do for the shedding?

lynn

An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness.
~Margaret Atwood

Old January 5th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 4, 10:43*pm, ensoul wrote:

Shedding cats.

If they will not tolerate brushing on a regular basis, and they are
shedding constantly, there are a couple of things that need to be
determined and from that a few things you can do:

a) where are you (by region)? They may be indoor cats, but if the
climate inside your house mirrors the outside climate somewhat, they
will go through their normal winter/summer coat cycle with one major
and one minor shed cycle (along with normal losses) across that
period.

b) has anything changed in their environment recently? Constant
shedding is often an indication of distress - either external (change
in living conditions) or internal - illness or parasites. Fleas can
happen all year, and if you are in a warm climate the immature stages
of fleas will go right through window screens - also ringworm (not a
worm, but a fungus) happens all year and is something that can come in
by several vectors.

c) Maine Coons (large cats) and their mixes will often shed in clumps,
but tend to shed at fairly specific times during the year. When they
shed their winter coat and most of their undercoat that can get
spectacularly messy even if they tolerate brushing. From your
description, you may have Maine Coon mixes.

d) as to brushing, try a simple soft-bristle brush as part of an
'affection routine' so as to get them used to the concept. Then, if
they tolerate that, gradually move to stiffer bristles, perhaps even a
slicker brush. I admit to being highly skeptical of "as seen on TV"
stuff - simple slickers have always been the best and most easily
tolerated brushes for our animals. We brush, and we get at least two
complete animals per week from the vacuum - but that is mostly the
dogs this time of year. The cats make their contributions in the early
spring and very early fall.

Good luck. Be patient.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 5th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
hopitus wrote:
On Jan 5, 12:03 am, "cybercat" wrote:
"ensoul" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I second this motion. You have to get them used to not only
that
brushing is good for them (they could care less) but that it also
*feels
good*, like petting with long fingernails....my cats like metal
bristle
brushes but that's extreme fir noobie cat brushing; start soft and
remember, you may be the slave but you are also the cat mama
and mama knows best.

Lion cut?
Old January 5th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote

Lion cut?

If she is too fragile to brush them, I guess.

Old January 5th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"hopitus" wrote in message

Brush them????

Yeah, I second this motion. You have to get them used to not only
that
brushing is good for them (they could care less) but that it also
*feels
good*,

I found out how good it feels to them when I just held up my hair brush and
Gracie groomed herself! She is a short-haired tabby, so doesn't exactly
require a lot of grooming, but I brush her several times a week now just
because she blisses out on it. She loves the way the bristles (not too hard,
not too soft, kind of like rubber) feel on her gums too, I guess. It's
pretty funny, she keeps swooping either side of her face on it until she has
almost like a little crest on the back of her neck. Mohawk tabby!

Old January 6th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Jan 5, 10:20*am, " wrote:
On Jan 4, 10:43*pm, ensoul wrote:

Shedding cats.

If they will not tolerate brushing on a regular basis, and they are
shedding constantly, there are a couple of things that need to be
determined and from that a few things you can do:

a) where are you (by region)? They may be indoor cats, but if the
climate inside your house mirrors the outside climate somewhat, they
will go through their normal winter/summer coat cycle with one major
and one minor shed cycle (along with normal losses) across that
period.

I live in rural upsate NY, we get all the seasons - winters are often
long

b) has anything changed in their environment recently? Constant
shedding is often an indication of distress - either external (change
in living conditions) or internal - illness or parasites. Fleas can
happen all year, and if you are in a warm climate the immature stages
of fleas will go right through window screens - also ringworm (not a
worm, but a fungus) happens all year and is something that can come in
by several vectors.

no changes - it was 2 1/2 yrs ago my husband died but they have always
shedded like this

c) Maine Coons (large cats) and their mixes will often shed in clumps,
but tend to shed at fairly specific times during the year. When they
shed their winter coat and most of their undercoat that can get
spectacularly messy even if they tolerate brushing. From your
description, you may have Maine Coon mixes.

I've seen pictures of Main Coon cats they no resembalnce (spelling) at
all to that breed

d) as to brushing, try a simple soft-bristle brush as part of an
'affection routine' so as to get them used to the concept. Then, if
they tolerate that, gradually move to stiffer bristles, perhaps even a
slicker brush. I admit to being highly skeptical of "as seen on TV"
stuff - simple slickers have always been the best and most easily
tolerated brushes for our animals. We brush, and we get at least two
complete animals per week from the vacuum - but that is mostly the
dogs this time of year. The cats make their contributions in the early
spring and very early fall.

Good luck. Be patient.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

than you, Peter
Old January 6th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"ensoul" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 10:20 am, " wrote:
On Jan 4, 10:43 pm, ensoul wrote:

[...]

I'm just going to have to kill file you too. What kind of lameass can't
figure out that her cats need to be brushed? Ugh.

Old January 6th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Jan 5, 6:41*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

Brush them????

Yeah, I second this motion. You have to get them used to not only
that
brushing is good for them (they could care less) but that it also
*feels
good*,

I found out how good it feels to them when I just held up my hair brush and
Gracie groomed herself! She is a short-haired tabby, so doesn't exactly
require a lot of grooming, but I brush her several times a week now just
because she blisses out on it. She loves the way the bristles (not too hard,
not too soft, kind of like rubber) feel on her gums too, I guess. It's
pretty funny, she keeps swooping either side of her face on it until she has
almost like a little crest on the back of her neck. Mohawk tabby!

only Moe allows the brushing and I live alone...cats are naturally
strong animals and given they're size...I have tried using cat treats
every time after they're brushed, they don't like any type of cat
treats! About 2 summers ago their fur was so terribly matted & I
couldn't afford a groomer, called the SPCA (I gotten them from there)
made a donation and they were happy to do it....afterwards they were
at war...I don't mean rough & tumble play, this was out & out attacks
on each other, they drew blood...I took turns keeping them in seperate
rooms, tried rubbing a T-shirt I wore so they'd have my scent on them,
didn't work....it was 3 month before they went back to normal

ensoul

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
~George Carlin
Old January 6th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

"hopitus" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe Moe and his brother are not house cats. Are you sure they are
cats? They could be some kind of wild things like bob cats or
something. The way you describe them they sound kinda scary. Have
they ever turned on you? If the two of them jumped you at the same
time, it sounds like youd be dead. Have they ever been mean to you?