My laptop died. OT, more or less

Old November 1st 09, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default My laptop died. OT, more or less

So I gave the kids my ATM card and said get me a new lap top. Make it
an HP and make it cheap. So they went to Wal-mart and picked up a new
laptop for me for a smidge over $500. I'll be drastically pinching
pennies for the next couple of months, but I can't go without my net
friends.

SO, I'm learning about Thunderbird, Windows 7, and different newsgroups
available for me to learn from. USENET group suggestions welcome,
though not necessarily followed. Does anyone else out there have
Windows 7? So far I like it, but it is very different from XP and the
size of the laptop is such (large) that I keep hitting the wrong keys.
My spell check is screaming.

As I said earlier, USENET suggestions are welcome as are those for
favorite websites. I didn't save my current bookmarks on a hard drive,
so all my favorite places to view your pictures and web pages are gone.
I'm going to be very distracted for a while.

Pam S
Old November 1st 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when tanadashoes wrote:
Does anyone else out there have
Windows 7?

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate, thinking I
would get better stability. Nope. I still get freezes and Blue Screens of
Death as frequently as I did with Vista.

I am not a happy Microsoft customer.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old November 1st 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...
No cluons were harmed when tanadashoes wrote:
Does anyone else out there have
Windows 7?

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate, thinking I
would get better stability. Nope. I still get freezes and Blue Screens of
Death as frequently as I did with Vista.

I am not a happy Microsoft customer.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Huh. I'm running Vista. I haven't seen a Blue Screen of Death in at least
a decade. Nor does my computer lock up.

Jill

Old November 1st 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

Hi Pam,

What happened to your old laptop - hd self destruct, or something else?
If it is your hd, you MAY be able to get it to work by putting it into
the freezer over night, then trying to boot it up. I have seen it work,
long enough for the tech to get the info off the drive. If the problem
is in the mb, you can remove the drive from the case and get an external
case for it and use it as a second drive. I have saved a lot of my data
that way.

Good luck with the new laptop!

Mishi
Old November 1st 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...
No cluons were harmed when tanadashoes wrote:
Does anyone else out there have
Windows 7?

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate,
thinking I
would get better stability. Nope. I still get freezes and Blue
Screens of
Death as frequently as I did with Vista.

I am not a happy Microsoft customer.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Huh. I'm running Vista. I haven't seen a Blue Screen of Death in
at least a decade. Nor does my computer lock up.

Jill

I had been having fits with my computer locking up every time it
went into some sort of sleep mode. i.e. any time I left it to its
own devices for half an hour or so.

Turns out the cause, or at least the fix was the drivers for the
cordless mouse and keyboard. Didn't even know they had found
themselves new drivers, but solved the problem once I learned and
sent them back to their old drivers.

Next job involves crawling. I think someone has been messing with
the phones and I'm pretty sure Charlie's phone has escaped from its
DSL filter. Hope I find it lying around and don't have to go out
and buy another one.

Jo

Old November 1st 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...
No cluons were harmed when tanadashoes wrote:
Does anyone else out there have
Windows 7?

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate, thinking I
would get better stability. Nope. I still get freezes and Blue Screens of
Death as frequently as I did with Vista.

I am not a happy Microsoft customer.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Mark in my experience with computers this is if you have done a hard drive
wipe( format) and installed a new OS Blue screens are caused by a driver
conflict but most of the time it is the RAM has gone bad