Scooter and the family are all living in my box!

Old December 17th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Scooter and the family are all living in my box!

I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.

Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.

My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.

I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
two feet by 16 inches.

Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
the four of them in there.
Old December 17th 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

dgk wrote:
[...]

2'x16" is not very large for 4 cats -- unless they don't grow during
the winter. You are doing a good thing and I'm sure the kitties
appreciate it. What is the night temperature there?. Here, it is below
freezing having warmed up from below 0. Best wishes. MLB
Old December 17th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I can only hope and pray your SO changes her/his mind. :*(

Old December 18th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
two feet by 16 inches.

Yes, I think so. It is nice that yuo are trying to do something for them.

Old December 18th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

dgk,

One caution - be careful of the setting of the heating pad. Too high a
setting can result in burns that the cats don't even feel happening, just as
it does in humans when they fall asleep on the pad. When you cover a heating
pad with a cat (who are heating pads themselves), it can get surprisingly
hot. While they will turn-over if too hot while awake, they may not if
asleep.

I had a male Siamese that developed bald spots on his stomach and underside
of the legs, with reddened skin underneath. $500 of vet bills and tests
later, I turned the heating pad down to its lowest setting after I picked
him up off the pad once and realized just how hot his stomach was. If you
note any patches of missing fur, it's likely due to the pad.

You might even consider using the pad on a vertical inside wall of the box
as radiant heat, using a higher setting.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

Old December 18th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:58:36 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
two feet by 16 inches.

Yes, I think so. It is nice that yuo are trying to do something for them.

They're all so cute. Well, Jet is a bit feral, but Scooter is as
friendly a cat as I've ever seen. He immediately lies on his back for
a quick tummy rub. The two babies are getting to the age where we have
to take them to some adoption service.

Scooter does seem to have a very wet mouth - perhaps a problem there.
I put out some Temptations for them and when he's done eating a few
the whole brick is wet.

Only he was there this morning and last night. I don't know where Jet
and the babies are; it's possible that one of my neighbors took them
in because it's now under 20F. If I don't see them when I get home
I'll call around.
Old December 18th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:01:21 -0700, MLB wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

But it is large for one cat. Too much room makes it colder in that
case. I'll need to see how long Jet and the babies stay around. And I
think it's almost time that the babies were sent somewhere where they
can get adopted.
Old December 18th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Allan Smith" wrote :

You might even consider using the pad on a vertical inside wall of the box
as radiant heat, using a higher setting.

A great idea.

Old December 18th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

You can go get one of those emergency thermal blankets the silver ones for
about $2.00 you can use it to line the bottom or all around. It holds the
heat in

Old December 18th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Allan Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I fed and provided a heated box for a feral cat for several years before he
came inside from the cold, and fortunately, I read that heating pads can be
too hot for them, so I took care to keep it on low.....Except one very cold
week when the temperature got down below freezing, and I put it on medium
for that week. That, plus the roasted chicken he got, turned him into the
house cat he is today.....:^)