Poinsettias

Old December 19th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter Black

Default Poinsettias

Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?
Old December 19th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Peter Black" wrote in message
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?

YES

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...=toxic-to-cats

Old December 20th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter Black

Good site and good advice. Thank-you.

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:54:55 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

.. .

Old December 20th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

On 20/12/2009 04:42, Peter Black wrote:
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?

Not a good plant for cats although where I live in Sydney there are
poinsettia and frangipani all over the place and plenty of suburban
cats. When i was kid the cats would sit in the poinsettia and climb all
over the frangipani all of which were quite big. Apparently no problems
- maybe they know not to nibble?

Typical size around my area although these shots are not local

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/232...41190181IWqkYH
http://mariposanursery.com/images/pl...frangipani.jpg
Old December 20th 09, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Netmask wrote:
On 20/12/2009 04:42, Peter Black wrote:
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?

Not a good plant for cats although where I live in Sydney there are
poinsettia and frangipani all over the place and plenty of suburban
cats. When i was kid the cats would sit in the poinsettia and climb all
over the frangipani all of which were quite big. Apparently no problems
- maybe they know not to nibble?

Typical size around my area although these shots are not local

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/232...41190181IWqkYH
http://mariposanursery.com/images/pl...frangipani.jpg

They are trees --not plants. I had no idea they would grow so large. MLB
Old December 20th 09, 09:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

On 20/12/2009 17:04, MLB wrote:
Netmask wrote:
On 20/12/2009 04:42, Peter Black wrote:
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?

Not a good plant for cats although where I live in Sydney there are
poinsettia and frangipani all over the place and plenty of suburban
cats. When i was kid the cats would sit in the poinsettia and climb
all over the frangipani all of which were quite big. Apparently no
problems - maybe they know not to nibble?

Typical size around my area although these shots are not local

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/232...41190181IWqkYH
http://mariposanursery.com/images/pl...frangipani.jpg

They are trees --not plants. I had no idea they would grow so large. MLB

yes i know they are tree's in this part of the world they are referred
to as trees but in colder climates plants - cold is known to shrink many
things....
Old December 20th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Peter Black" wrote in message
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?

I have mine in a room where our girls can't get to them. No sense taking a
chance. ;-)

Old December 20th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Netmask" wrote in message
MLB
yes i know they are tree's in this part of the world they are referred to
as trees but in colder climates plants - cold is known to shrink many
things....

My MIL had a few around her house in Florida and they were huge bushy things
covered in flowers every winter.

Old December 21st 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Peter Black" wrote in message
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant.

I read recently that poinsettias aren't really poisonous....That this was
an, "old wives tale"......Try googling it to find out.....