Are Cats Maybe the Only Creature on the Planet...

Old December 23rd 09, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default Are Cats Maybe the Only Creature on the Planet...

....that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

Old December 23rd 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:54:46 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

They have simple brains and they're all weird. One of mine was going
nuts this morning attacking a small play mouse. But at least it looked
something like a mouse. Another one was going nuts last night ripping
apart a napkin. Absolutely ripped it to shreds. Both were without the
added benefit of catnip.
Old December 23rd 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
from anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

If my 5 cats "entertain themselves for hours", it must be in their
dreams.....

Old December 23rd 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
from anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

If my 5 cats "entertain themselves for hours", it must be in their
dreams.....

Well I may have been exaggerating just a little...and my cat is
an adolescent cat, maybe they are more active.

Old December 23rd 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

wrote:

...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
from
anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

They have simple brains and they're all weird. One of mine was going
nuts this morning attacking a small play mouse. But at least it looked
something like a mouse. Another one was going nuts last night ripping
apart a napkin. Absolutely ripped it to shreds. Both were without the
added benefit of catnip.

Maybe they are honing their skills for real rats and mice.

Old December 23rd 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (12/23/2009 1:54 AM):
...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with anything
unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I keep buying
her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're sleeping and at
work, to no avail.

Ah, well.

jmc
Old December 23rd 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
from anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

If my 5 cats "entertain themselves for hours", it must be in their
dreams.....

Well I may have been exaggerating just a little...and my cat is
an adolescent cat, maybe they are more active.

Yes. I was only commenting on the act that they seem to sleep like 20 hours
a day. My wife does seem to be able to get them to play with various fake
birds she dangles over their heads on strings, but for the most part, their
favorite activity by far, is sleeping.....

Old December 24th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (12/23/2009 1:54 AM):
...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
from anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with anything
unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I keep buying
her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're sleeping and at
work, to no avail.

Ah, well.

jmc

Maybe get her another cat. I think that is what activated my cat, when
she spent time with her litter mates and her mother, playing with them
for several months before she was by herself.

Her and her mom would chase each other through the house, then play
attack each other in an apparently full clawed assault with all fours,
and then fall asleep between each others' paws.

Now that the mother cat is gone, she is still in the habit of playing.
And I love watching her. But I still think she needs another cat.