Opinions - kittens for old cat?

Old February 23rd 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Opinions - kittens for old cat?

Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat.
She's not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very
quiet cat but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic and
on medication.

She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.

Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
kittens. One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
personality". The other is a longhaired calico girl.

The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to
be a ginger tom.

So we have three choices he

1. Do nothing
2. Adopt the male
3. Adopt the female
4. Adopt both

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.

jmc
Old February 23rd 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (2/23/2010 5:07 PM):
[...]

Man, I should proofread closer. "Since I adopted her at 12 weeks old"
and "they think the sire is a local ginger tom".

jmc
Old February 24th 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

IMO, I would adopt both kittens. They can play together and not
"bother" Meep as much. But, even if they don't play, they will be
companions for her. Our oldest (11) doesn't play much with our
youngest (1), but it's still companionship.
Old February 24th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene" wrote in message
IMO, I would adopt both kittens. They can play together and not
"bother" Meep as much. But, even if they don't play, they will be
companions for her. Our oldest (11) doesn't play much with our
youngest (1), but it's still companionship.

My 10-11 year old is really enjoying our kitten. It's been hisses and swats
on a declining scale since we brought the baby home at 8 weeks Thanksgiving.
Now they are hanging out together. Not quite snuggling, but we find them
together coexisting on, say, the same couch a few feet apart, dozing, or on
my bed. Gracie keeps the high ground in case the kitten goes into stalking
mode. The coolest thing is, the kitten (who is overall very polite and
gentle for a kitten, just as Gracie is for a cat) has really shaken Gracie's
world up in a good way. I think Gracie was bored. She was sleeping a lot
more (meaning, like, 23 hours a day instead of 18!) and such. Now she gets
crazy-frisky more often out of the blue, and for the first time ever, she
hopped up on the couch when I was having dinner on a tv tray and showed
interest in my food. Totally weird, she is one of those cats that has never
cared about people food or treats. But the kitten is a beggar and a chow
hound. I was so stunned, I let Gracie lick my chicken. She did this then
ran away like "whoah, I can't believe I did that!"

I think it is unusual, and not usually the case, but it has been good for
our older cat to have the company of a kitten. That said, I should point out
that we have given them each their own spaces to retreat to since the first
day, and I have been diligent about giving Gracie breaks when the kitten was
in 24/7 stalking mode.

Old February 24th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Rene" wrote in message
[...]

Same here for mine cyber ka'shay I believe was in depression of a sorts
after Spirit died in 2008 and Rumble was always stand offish with all of
them.

With Jammer coming into the home. Him and Ka'shay who I called the golden
kids drive each other nuts in a good way. Some times even rumble gets
involved

With Phantoms death in November of 2009. Rumble has become more loving.
Leads me to believe he was jealous of Phantom and spirit since both were
always next to me but I never showed any favoritism.

Now if I can get jammer to leave limo alone who truly wants to be the only
cat in the house but that ain't going to happen and she knows it.

Old February 24th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie[_3_]

On Feb 23, 5:07*pm, jmc wrote:
[...]

Get both kittens. They will play and pounce on each other and won't
constantly bother her. She will be entertained by watching them and
participating when she wants. A friend of mine had an older cat,
adopted two kittens and the older cat really perked up. The older one
washed the babies, cuddled, and played with them, but also got some
space and relaxation time to himself.

Good luck,
Debbie
Old February 25th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah.....I'll go along with the others.....Get both cats. I have 5, and I
can tell you from experience, one cat is not enough. And three is better
than two. Adopt both, and come back in a year and tell us which one you wish
you had never adopted.......

Old February 25th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

And if some of the cats don't like each other?

Old February 25th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

netamerica...

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

In that case, you should go to a Japanese sword shop, buy the finest Seppuku
blade you can afford, kneel in front of a shrine of your God or Gods, and
commit Hara-Kari........

Old February 25th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Facetiously, in other words...live with it...
Hope the warring cats can.

[OT] Need Opinions / Help CatNipped Cat anecdotes 15 October 30th 06 01:28 AM
2nd opinions [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 April 14th 05 11:43 PM
Opinions please Yoj Cat anecdotes 51 October 29th 04 07:56 PM
Need Opinions [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 44 October 12th 04 06:28 PM